New guy! Trying to navigate and get the lay of the land :-)

Maybe a silly question but is there a forum or sub forum here where members can sell or swap tools? I’m not in dire need of much but of course I’m always open to a good deal here or there.
Generally speaking your best deals are the less known local places. I've had decent luck haunting estate and moving sales especially where people are just trying to get rid of stuff in a hurry. Or in-person estate auctions, especially towards the end of the day when everyone is tired and just wants to go home. For those look in the back of cupboards, boxes, etc.. there are sometimes gems hiding back in there (I've bid on a few "cabinet and contents" to get one piece that was worth more than the rest combined and donated the majority to habitat for humanity). A lot of estate sale people also don't like dirt & grease so if you're not afraid to clean something up a bit they'll often sell it cheap just so they don't have to touch it, bonus if its "broken" in an easily fixable fashion. I've had some mixed luck with the local classifieds and craigslist, how well they deliver is highly regional. I see folks in the midwest and some of the eat coast getting deals that are unimaginable on most of the west coast.

For selling stuff, mostly ditto on getting best return on dollar plus effort. If it's an antique or could masquerade as one... I've had some luck flipping things on commission at the local antique store (bought four spinning wheels from an estate.. sold one that wasn't very usable at the antique shop and came out close to par). The nice thing about that is that you take out having to deal with the public yourself from the equation. The number of completely crazies you have to deal with to buy or sell something on like craigslist or the local classifieds can be more than really desired. Sometimes it goes smoothly but sometimes you're kind of wondering if any bargain is worth the overhead on this one.

For handtools of the more rarified sort there are a few online dealers (mjdtools.com, finetoolj.com, jimebodetools.com, thebestthings.com etc..) that *can* be worth poking at, but a lot of times they know exactly what they have and it's priced accordingly (for better or worse). On the plus side dealing with a repputable dealer you're less likely to get an absolute stinker.

As someone who has experienced (and quit) just about every intoxicant out there that doesn't involve a needle, I can safely say I've seen a lot of fights involving drunk people, and never one involving people who were high on pot. I'm also a lot more afraid of drunk drivers than I am of stoned drivers. (Although I firmly agree no one should drive or operate machinery under the influence of any intoxicant.) My state fairly recently legalized recreational cannabis sales (although they won't have the governmental rules and regulations set up for retailers until next year), and I have no objection to the idea. We've allowed medical marijuana here for quite a while, and I know a number of people who have legitimately benefited from having access to it. (Particularly people who previously had dependancies on prescription opioids.)
ABSOLUTELY,

Pot is legal here in Mass, both recreational as well as medical. Mass is in full operation with stores open. I fully agree with all you said here. I have no issue with it at all.
My warning is that ANY impairment including being frustrated, tired, high, or anything distracting is cause to shut down ALL machinery and STOP working.

There is nothing wrong with hanging out with friends in the shop over a beer (I don't drink) or anything else. Just don't use any sharp tools or machines.

My shop is a comfortable place and enjoyable place to be.

On a personal level, I don't want to alter any part of the remainder of my reality either good or bad, with one exception.

Pain. Pain alters my quality of life and prevents me from doing the things I have to do and the things I want to do. I take a regular regimen of pain relief for a chronic and congenital back problem. It's not enough to impair my abilities but does dull the persistent pain. I will also allow the dentist to use pain killer when he is drilling or prying on things in my mouth.

Alan