new home for the laser set up

Dan Noren

Staff member
i was going to hold this one off for later, but with all of these builds going on, i thought, what the heck. as the item the lase is on now was just a temporary home, a few weeks back i designed a new one. the last item to fall in line was the small pc, for a dedicated brain like i have with the cnc. i wound up with one of the last dell precision t1700's being thrown out at work. nothing wrong with it at all, other than not going to be used in the future. loaded it up with windows 10, ugs, lightburn, and all the other goodies needed for running the laser. with that, a spare monitor, and keyboard, i set to with designing a new rolling bench. i already have the good size casters (not the 300 lb rated ones on the other benches, but close). the bench will be 24 x 48" (this works out good, as the laser set up is 24 x 24 inches), and i will have 24 x 24 inches for the layout of the pc and other such, nothing is set in stone mind you. this will be much better than what i have now, and it will free up the laptop for design work.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 13
not sure about what to use the bottom for, maybe a nice set of quick and ugly drawers....
I've got the same delima, I have a lot of small objects (such as spoons, wood coins, bottle openers, etc.) that need a home. I also have a bunch of thin plywood sheets that could use some dividers to easily see what I have to work with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

well, today (actually yesterday now), it finally hit 60 degrees, and i figured that it was high time i got off my backside, and get this thing put together. nice thing about designing things around precut sizes, is that it narrows down the number of cuts needed. having just finished moving all of my files to the new pc, all that is left to do, is to add the pc, monitor, and keyboard. now, for some pictures....

Attachments

• 001 start of torsion box.JPG
    001 start of torsion box.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 5
  • 002 bottom of torsion box added.JPG
    002 bottom of torsion box added.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 003 casters added to torsion box.JPG
    003 casters added to torsion box.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 004 torsion box on casters.JPG
    004 torsion box on casters.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 005 feet fitted to torsion box.JPG
    005 feet fitted to torsion box.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 007 legs assembled.JPG
    007 legs assembled.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 006 legs cut and notched.JPG
    006 legs cut and notched.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 008 first long brace in place.JPG
    008 first long brace in place.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 009 second long brace in place.JPG
    009 second long brace in place.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 010 feet atached and on torsion box.JPG
    010 feet atached and on torsion box.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 7
the rest of the pictures....

Attachments

• 011 top first layer.JPG
    011 top first layer.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 014 riser assembled.JPG
    014 riser assembled.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 013 monitor riser parts cut.JPG
    013 monitor riser parts cut.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 8
  • 012 top second layer.JPG
    012 top second layer.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 015 back of riser.JPG
    015 back of riser.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 016 laser riser in place.JPG
    016 laser riser in place.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 018 laser in place.JPG
    018 laser in place.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 019 monitor riser secured in place.JPG
    019 monitor riser secured in place.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 13
Looks like a nice robust cart for the laser. I'm about ready for spring to get here, but our weather is nothing like what you get in Minnesota.

i also managed to get a 2 terabyte external drive on sale at staples today as well. for the next three days, i will be moving my files from the various flash drives, and laptop, to the hard drive to be a little bit better organized than they are now. i figured main branches to be cnc and laser, then the sub branches to be the years, then by project name within the years. that will keep me busy until the weather warms up.