New Item For My Q Station

Bill Arnold

Staff member
After reading in past months about some of you folks having Masterbuilt smokers, I did a fair amount of studying and decided to add one to my Q station. This is the 30-inch Electric Digital Smokehouse Black w/ Top Control.

MB30_a.jpgMB30_b.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention I built a small stand from cedar to elevate the MB to a level my back will like better.

I ran it through a break-in of about 16 hours starting at 170°, ramping up to 250°. I added apple wood chips occasionally.

Today, I'm smoking two 6lb Boston butts. They had been in there about 4 hours when I snapped the photo below.

MB30_c.jpg

This is actually my second cook in it. I smoked a slab of pork spare ribs last Sunday, but forgot to get photos!

I still intend to use my OK Joe for large cooks but wanted something easier to manage for a smaller batch of whatever.

Last edited:
Dang, I'm getting invalid attachments. I've got to say, as much as I liked keeping a fire going all day in my wood fired smoker, there is something just so nice and easy about these electric ones...

Invalid something or other. Yes I love my electric smoker. The smokes always makes me think it's BBQ time.
Meat comes out great most of the time. Can't beat smoked turkey or fresh smoked ham.
David.

Good looking unit, I'll check in with you in a few months of use and see what your opinion is then, the misses has been trying to talk me into an electric smoker and I can't seem to convert from my weber, 35 years using one has me locked in to it but things can change:p

After a couple of years on mine now, I have to say It's really great for the things that take a longer time (6+ hours). For things that take less, I tend to use the weber, or heavens to betsy, the gas grill. Just depends on what I'm cooking.

I was looking at those at BassPro yesterday. I have a propane MB and sometimes wish for the better temperature control of the electrics. That one looks really nice. The two door versions are nice too. They didn't have those when I bought mine

Good looking unit, I'll check in with you in a few months of use and see what your opinion is then, the misses has been trying to talk me into an electric smoker and I can't seem to convert from my weber, 35 years using one has me locked in to it but things can change:p

I'm already sold on it after the ribs a few days ago and the butts I brought in this morning. My OK Joe will still be the go-to for doing 2-3 turkeys, etc.

After a couple of years on mine now, I have to say It's really great for the things that take a longer time (6+ hours). For things that take less, I tend to use the weber, or heavens to betsy, the gas grill. Just depends on what I'm cooking.

Each thing has its place, that's for sure. My grill gets a workout when it's time for steaks, etc.

looks great, it that the model with blue tooth ?

I didn't see any advantage for me with the bluetooth model. I've been thinking about a PID controller to turn the power off when an item reaches its proper temperature. So far, I'm satisfied with the temperature control that's with the unit but it would be nice to have the additional control to turn the unit off when the butts hit 195° in the middle of the night.

I picked up almost the same model just after Christmas. My digital controls are in the front. I can't get enough of it! This weekend, since I'll be out of town, will be the only the second since I got it that I won't have anything cooking in it. The first time it was below zero all weekend so I didn't want to go outside. :eek:

Easy peasy it right...almost set it and forget it! :thumb:

During winter my smoker lives in garage with garage door cracked open. No open flames or coals so I feel fairly safe.
For Easter will do fresh ham which is brined for a week then smoked for a bunch of hours. Have done a few so they get better every time.
Family loves the hickory smoke. Also love whole turkey or turkey breast if on sale. Butts can't be beat for flavor. Just overall fun and good eating.
David

Welcome to the electric smoker club Bill :)

I will steal your idea and make a similar stand for mine. Maybe not as high but certainly higher than the factory legs. Feel a bit stupid not having thought about doing that myself. Thanks for showing the way. Smoke on.;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk