Wow, that's quite the split!It looks like it was cut from a cross section of the tree, much like you might turn a bowl. If so, then the split s not so hard to understand.
Is that a wide split. or is there a piece missing? From the photo, it looks more like a missing piece (and tooth).
Also, does the number printed on the gear indicate the number of teeth?
It wouldn't be "authentic," but a new gear made from Baltic Birch plywood would preclude any further splitting problems.
neat, I would try to make one out of Baltic birch. It looks like there is a number on it "89" or "68".... .... Jim beat me to the punchI decided to remove the barrel from the piano last night to look at the “broken tooth”. What I discovered is not what I was expecting. The wooden gear had actually “split” and the opening was actually a wide gap not a missing tooth. So, I’m hoping I can still use it as a pattern to cut a new gear.
It’s probably still going to be another 6-8 weeks before I get to work in my shop due to the cold weather but this at least gives me a heads up on what I’ll need to do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I also agree with Jim, just be sure the roll is spinning freely/correctly though, as a jamb/bind may have caused the old teeth to break. It looks like the spiral drive gear would be much harder to fix it it wasnt spinning correctly.It wouldn't be "authentic," but a new gear made from Baltic Birch plywood would preclude any further splitting problems.
I just did a search on these instruments and there appears to be some info, site, forums about them. While you shop gets warm, you could probably find out about anything you want to know. Might even be some parts, overseas....