New Organ Build Topsy 3

So it looks like Alan Pell isint making or selling anymore midi files. I know about Melwrights music which is up to a 52 note scale for the topsy 3. What else is available for off the shelf ready to play music for the topsy 3 that would utilize most if not all the pipes and percussion in a topsy 3 organ?

I am thinking If I start in on the topsy 3, I want to follow the 66 note system, but I may only build the organ with Bass, Accompaniment, and Melody notes and leave out the counter melody pipes. Most of what I am seeing for available music only goes up to 46~52 notes. I think they are utilizing all the pipes except for the counter melody sections. You guys have any thoughts, I wouldn't mind building the full organ but if the larger arrangements are not as easy to find anymore as the 30 to 40 note music, I might go that route so I don't have a section of pipes that dont get used very often if at all.

This place in Tennessee also sells rolls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On these peterson pallet magnets, do you guys use an extra series diode like the one circled above. I know the fly back diode is needed but I haven't really seen anyone use this series diode. I am going to be using a Midilector 64 magnet driving board from Orgautomatech.
1605056300312.png

Probably the most confusing part for me building an organ is going to be the wiring. I have been studying over all the electrical circuits that John Smith has drawn out in the manual but I am thinking, is there any reason I couldn't just use manual push switches to turn on and off the registers like the block, triangle, glockenspiel, celeste, etc..? (example figure 4 in the manual) I guess if I am looking for a basic setup that works, do I even need to look into any of the other circuits. I think if/ when I add vibrato, I would just buy a suitable motor and speed control that's plug and play with simple wiring connections.

I did a wiring diagram for the Topsy that takes some confusion out of john's diagram. Let me know if this helps

Attachments

• Topsy 3 Wiring.pdf
    92.7 KB · Views: 26
I think if/ when I add vibrato, I would just buy a suitable motor and speed control that's plug and play with simple wiring connections.

David My advice is dont waste your time with the Vibrato it just doesn't work all that well. I took my out and have never missed it.
Edit your profile so we know where you live. If you are in the US you can buy the control board from Klinger Organ in Flippen AR and also the other boards you will need and the ReadeR that I used to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from the US and I have an orgautomatech decoder board with midi reader and recorder. The wiring for it looks pretty straight forward. My main questions I guess were about all the diagrams showing the different ways to wire the register controls. I dont know much about how the midi part works, is most of the midi music coded to turn on and off the registers or are they always on and need to be controlled on/ off via a manual switch on the control panel.

Last edited: