New Project Started

Paul Douglass

Just for fun I wanted to show my new project. This is a box I'm making for my neighbor. I think she over paid me for a picture frame I made for her so, this is to ease my conscience. Can't give her money back,,,, I spent it on my new JessEm router lift. This is the lid to the box. I am using Maple and it will have a darker wood lining. First picture is what I have accomplish so far, second picture is what I hope it turn out like. This is the kind of fretwork I love to do.
IMG_4012.JPG

modena-jewel-box-02 Juergen Hallbauer.jpg

Today's progress. Spent about 4.5 hours on it. Before I started scrolling today, I drilled all the rest of the holes in the rest of the pattern for this lid. That takes some care because the parts to cut out are not black like on a lot of patterns. Would be easy to drill in a wrong place.

By the way, just in case anyone is interested, this pattern is from a site in Spain. The man that makes them takes old patterns from long ago and redoes them on computer. I have done several of his patterns and have purchased many more. It is an interesting site, and beautiful patterns: http://www.finescrollsaw.com/. Unfortunately the gentleman has been pretty ill lately, was off line for 3 months, 2 in hospital, so I have been purchasing patterns lately,,, just for insurance. You cannot get patterns like his anywhere else that I know of... If he has to quit they are gone.
I am really having fun:IMG_4013.JPG

Paul,

I like your work, but I have a suggestion.

I found that when doing intricate and delicate work like this, it's better to work from the middle out. The outer areas can become weak as you move the work around while trying to work toward the center. If you work from the center out the areas that you need to grip will be stronger up until the last of the cuts so you will be less likely to break it.

Charley

Paul,

I like your work, but I have a suggestion.

I found that when doing intricate and delicate work like this, it's better to work from the middle out. The outer areas can become weak as you move the work around while trying to work toward the center. If you work from the center out the areas that you need to grip will be stronger up until the last of the cuts so you will be less likely to break it.

Charley
Yes, I understand that, but this is 3/16" Maple stacked on 1/4" BB. Pretty strong. I have not cut Maple before, and being a wood miser I started but drilling and scrolling about a 1" strip along one side. That way is it didn't work out I could saw that part off and use the rest of the board for some other project. I'm really cheap!

Well, finally got it all cut out... that is the fun part. Had a delay and do over because I found a flaw in the pattern. I stack cut the front and back pieces, then do the same with the side pieces. Got them done then discovered if I assembled It as cut the profiles of the ends of the sides would not be the same as the ends of the front and back....(see picture). So I cut and paste the ends of the sides on a copy of the pattern so they would.... So that was at least 4 hours of extra cutting... I don't mind the cutting part, that is what I like to do, but it also wasted some maple wood... the is not what I like to do. Anyway, it is now all cut and assembled. Now I am going to line it with some Cherry veneer. That is what is in the bottom in one of the pictures.... Not sure on best finish but this will get about 5 coats of Deft simi-gloss spray...

Attachments

• IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4026.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4027.JPG
    IMG_4027.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG