New Roubo Style Bench

I hope y'all will be able to see the video...
I have been thinking of making this New Fangled workbench (in Finewoodworking)...
...primarily for the ease and flexiblity of clamping.
I am planning on cutting the length down to about 60".

It just 'grabs' me for some reason...
... using common pipe clamps in a unique manner... cool cinch-clamp at end...

Stu, have you seen it? What do you think of it? :wave:

I hope y'all will be able to see the video...
I have been thinking of making this New Fangled workbench (in Finewoodworking)...
...primarily for the ease and flexiblity of clamping.
I am planning on cutting the length down to about 60".

It just 'grabs' me for some reason...
... using common pipe clamps in a unique manner... cool cinch-clamp at end...

Stu, have you seen it? What do you think of it? :wave:

Yep, I've seen it, I'd say a couple thing struck me right away, CHEAP, you could build that bench so cheap it would not be funny, that is a great bonus point!

Other than that, I can't really see liking it, it is too fiddily for me, too many small parts, too much stuff to keep track of :dunno: When I'm working on something I want to put it in the vice, work, then move on, I don't want to have to send time breaking the face vice out of it's storage spot, finding the bits and bobs, installing them all, then use the vice, finish and have to reverse the procedure to put the bits and bobs back, and stow the face vice again, the way my days go, 30 seconds later I'd realize I need to use the face vice again :doh:

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of guys this bench could be exactly what they want/need, but for me, I want something that is just ready to go all the time. :thumb:

Stu,

Thank you for your comments...

None of your reasons to dislike it ever entered my mind...
I felt that I could live with all of it's features with no problems at all.
It seems to me that many of the features could co-exist at the same time NOT requiring one to put the Face Vise away after using it, etc. but, to just leave it there.

I work much slower than you do... I think...

Thanks again...

Joe, I've seen drawings of that bench, but hadn't seen the video before. I think it's a great approach. Since I've never had a proper woodworking bench, I don't know how (or if) it would affect my methods of work, but I suspect it'd work very well for the limited flat woodworking I do. I know it'd beat the pants off the Workmate I use now. (My only clamping benchtop.) :thumb:

Vaughn, we're in the same boat...

Mostly using a piece of plywood on top of a table or plain ole table top (chest of drawers, etc.) with a "clamp-on" vise is what I've been using all my life...

Just a few of those New-Fangled features would be beating what I've had by ALL GET OUT...
... I'm not a Pro counting seconds, minutes, TIME! (Thank God!)

Stu,

Thank you for your comments...

None of your reasons to dislike it ever entered my mind...
I felt that I could live with all of it's features with no problems at all.
It seems to me that many of the features could co-exist at the same time NOT requiring one to put the Face Vise away after using it, etc. but, to just leave it there.

I work much slower than you do... I think...

Thanks again...

Joe, I've seen drawings of that bench, but hadn't seen the video before. I think it's a great approach. Since I've never had a proper woodworking bench, I don't know how (or if) it would affect my methods of work, but I suspect it'd work very well for the limited flat woodworking I do. I know it'd beat the pants off the Workmate I use now. (My only clamping benchtop.) :thumb:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that New Fangled Bench is bad, or poorly designed, or anything like that, I think it is very innovative and certainly would be a useful tool in most any shop.

For me, with the kind of hand tool-centric wood working that I'm aspiring to, the Roubo style makes a lot more sense. :thumb:

Now if any of you guys build this New Fangled Bench, we expect to see lots of pics :D

One more little thing done today.......
IMG_1918.jpg

..... I added a top piece to the leg vice to bring it up to the level of the new bench top.I made a long deep dado into the top of the vice jaw and then added a cap piece of hard maple. It is all drawbored together with some glue tossed in for good measure!.
Seems to work fine

A long thin, HEAVY box arrived today from the USA :thumb:

A while back Steve Southwood offered to keep an eye out for a decent #7 jointer plane for me. Maybe a month ago Steve found me one :D At the time I had a LOT on my plate and told him not to worry about getting it to me quickly, then I went and started this Roubo bench project :doh:Sorry about that Steve, I did not mean to put any pressure on you!! :eek:

goof_with_num_7_a.jpg

goof_with_num_7_b.jpg

You certainly came through for me, Domo! :thumb:

I think it is a type 14, but I could be wrong, I'll be tuning it up, and taking some pics very soon!

Again, thanks Steve, this is really great! :D

Don't get me wrong, for a lot of guys this bench could be exactly what they want/need, [...]

I'm with Stu. I watched the video and agree there were some innovative bits, but the word "fiddly" just kept popping into my head.

As he was clamping the piece laying flat on the top of the bench, I kept thinking how a basic bench with a double-row of dogholes would do the same job, and a lot simpler.

Then there is the fact that I have a small shop and I subscribe to the same beliefs as Bart -- my bench has a cabinet full of drawers in the base. I don't have the space to leave it wide open like that bench needs to be. In fact I plan to be adding even more storage to my shop this summer...

Hey you look a little dangerous with those poses.

Not bad for the US PO system 6 days and it's there.

Glad you like it, can't wait to see it all cleaned up and looking good.

Hey you look a little dangerous with those poses.

Not bad for the US PO system 6 days and it's there.

Glad you like it, can't wait to see it all cleaned up and looking good.

I was shooting for happy/crazy :D

Right now, I'm just going to get it working, sharpen it up, give it a tune up. I already bought a new blade for it from LV, I liked the way a new thicker LV blade took my old #4 for just OK to great! :headbang: and I thought the new blade for this #7 would help too.

Later I'll strip it all down, tank it, lap it and then paint it, but not now, other things on the go!

Cheers!

I'm with Stu. I watched the video and agree there were some innovative bits, but the word "fiddly" just kept popping into my head.

As he was clamping the piece laying flat on the top of the bench, I kept thinking how a basic bench with a double-row of dogholes would do the same job, and a lot simpler.

Then there is the fact that I have a small shop and I subscribe to the same beliefs as Bart -- my bench has a cabinet full of drawers in the base. I don't have the space to leave it wide open like that bench needs to be. In fact I plan to be adding even more storage to my shop this summer...

Art,
as a fellow 'small shop' guy... I fully agree that more storage is a good thing. I don't see why you couldn't put a set of drawers or a cabinet with doors under the NFB. You would only have to allow for either a place to 'park' the planing support above or below the drawers, Or perhaps put the opening on the 'back' of the bench if you have the luxury of a 'walk around' space behind it. Yes it is a compromise to do that, but the NFB was designed as a modern alternative to traditional designs, inexpensive to build, but very functional for the investment.

Honestly, about the time I built my NFB my woodworking slowed down to a crawl, but I still Have it and I'm absolutely planning on it being a feature in my new shop in VA.

ayup, that would be the one!

had to do a double take... who is that skinny biker dude in your avatar anyway? (congrats on your toning up working so well!)

Hey Ned!

I should have Searched for it! Sure glad I opened the door to get it!

I noticed that you're apparently using Galvanized pipe... where John White appears to be using Black pipe...

Which one is the best to use?

It seems to me that I remember one Stains when in contact with glue & one doesn't... forgot which one...

I am going to make my bench closer to 60" long and to 24" wide (at least that's what I'm leaning to now.)

Thank you.

Stu,

I guess you used to be 60 lbs heavier (reason for the link showing How you did it!).
I'd like to lose 40-50 Lbs... Primarily in BELLY fat! Did you fight that dept & win? Any hints / ideas on the best way to lose it?

It looks like you work in a market... cigarettes (Lucky Strike?) on shelf near you?
... or you were there when pic was taken... :D

Stu,

I guess you used to be 60 lbs heavier (reason for the link showing How you did it!).
I'd like to lose 40-50 Lbs... Primarily in BELLY fat! Did you fight that dept & win? Any hints / ideas on the best way to lose it?

It looks like you work in a market... cigarettes (Lucky Strike?) on shelf near you?
... or you were there when pic was taken... :D

Joe, it is simple....

"eat less, move more"

.... I did not say it was easy :D

I have an app on my iPhone for counting calories, it really helped me, I did not realize how many calories I was consuming each day, no wonder I weight 301 pounds last year!! :eek: Down to 241, but I want to get down to 175.

www.myfitnesspal.com it is 100% free, lots of info on the site and they have an online forum too, lots of good folks and great help! :thumb:

Last edited:
I just wanted to show some more details of the leg vice.......

leg_vice_detail_1.jpg

leg_vice_detail_2.jpg

(needs some more planing I guess:eek:)
I know that one solid piece of wood, in the end will end up being stronger, but I think that should do me quite well in the meantime :thumb:

I took the new Stanely #7 and tuned it up, sharpened up the blade and......
number_7_flat_top.jpg

..... can we say "Flat-Top" :D

Took a bit of elbow grease, but I now have a nice flat top on my workbench!

Next up I took some 90 minute epoxy and diluted it with some DNA, then spread it around to fill in voids etc.....

expoy_voids.jpg

..... some of the voids really sucked up a lot of epoxy, and I ended up making some that was not diluted much at all, to fill the larger voids. I sure hope that stuff is dry now!

Next up I have to work the end vice into the bench, and then a couple of dog holes. I'm not sure if I'll put the morticed planing stop in or now, maybe I'll just wait, I can add it later.

Cheers!