new shop in the works

I forgot to mention I did finally get the cedar canoe into its new home In the shop the other day. I built it in 95 and it's been out in the elements for the past yr. It needs some TLC now. So till I can get to that and the kayak I have to build it wI'll just have to hang from the ceiling. I did find another use for the baker drywall scaffding though. Couple of boards across it at max height I could just wheel the canoe right into ace over the benches and hoist it up with ropes. No mucking about trying to balance it on my shoulders. 20160917_105319.jpg

Been awhile since posting. Had some setbacks with the body so had to slow down a bit ( if that is even possible) in the summer was in extreme pain with the lower back and after a trip to emerg I was sent to the big island for a CT scan of my back. After two months and scheduling screw ups with my GP i was finally able to get in to see him and turns out I had 4 bulging discs. Go figure after all I have done my back would rebel on me. of course in this time I finished off the wood shed and loaded it full of 3 cords of wood then I moved the pressure tank into the new mechanical room ( found out the pressure tank had to be replaced) and changed the well head configuration, dug a 2 ft deep trench across the driveway to bury the new water line and installed the new brine water softening system in. had to do some plumbing and crawl around under the house. Thought that would be easier on my back but No. After all that I finally got back into the shop and started organizing the shop. Moved a load of wood up onto the wall and have started thinking about how i want things to go and where to put them. No choice in the matter now as I have to take it easier. Getting the duct work up and fired up the wood stove. I am very impressed with the job I did on the insulation as it get warm fast inside the shop. for some reason I have a fly issue in the shop. Hundreds of flies have moved into the shop and I thought maybe the cat had brought something dead in or something had died. So that started the organizing the shop and moving stuff onto the wall but so far have found nothing dead. Just seems when I lite the fire they come to life so will be letting it stay cold for a few days just to try to get this problem under control. Have actually had some time using the new table saw and I must say I am very impressed with the extra power and how solid this saw is. It will be nice to get the DC hooked up to all the machines. Dust is a big issue with me and i cant be around any of it. Years of working in the trades has taken its toll on my lungs so dust mask has to be worn at all times till the DC is up and running. Found out I had to use the ceiling mount air filter to move air around when the stove is running as the smoke detector goes off from the heat. I knew there would be bugs to work out as things come together. Im still missing containers of tools I have not found yet ( still buried in all the box's under the shop). I will post pics in the next few days of the progress.

Yikes, back pain is no fun. I've been fighting some lower back pain off and on for a while now, not much other cure for me than to take it easy for a bit.

If the flies are gnat size, you can try putting some apple cider vinegar in a bottle with a piece of tape covering half the top, they get attracted to it an usually get stuck inside and die. We have flasks all over the institute on our floors that do work with flies and seems to do a good job keeping them under control.

Drew the flies that you are seeing are called cluster flies. they come into the house to stay warm for the winter usually clustering some place out of the way and away from drafts. When they fly around they are slow and easy to smack. They don't lay eggs on human food and I think they lay their eggs in the grass, basically harmless but annoying.
I first ran into them when I built my house I in the early 80's. I needed a measurement for a plumbing run and went up to the house to get it. The building was at the ready for boarding stage so insulated and draft proof. The time was November. I got up on a stepladder and pulled out some insulation bats from a bedroom ceiling and I couldn't believe what I saw. Up on the underside of the roof sheeting was a ball of flies about the size if a softball. I put some insecticide in a shop vac and sucked them up. Over the next few years I found them clustering along certain windows near the weatherstripping.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/cluster-flies

Drew the flies that you are seeing are called cluster flies. they come into the house to stay warm for the winter usually clustering some place out of the way and away from drafts. When they fly around they are slow and easy to smack. They don't lay eggs on human food and I think they lay their eggs in the grass, basically harmless but annoying.
I first ran into them when I built my house I in the early 80's. I needed a measurement for a plumbing run and went up to the house to get it. The building was at the ready for boarding stage so insulated and draft proof. The time was November. I got up on a stepladder and pulled out some insulation bats from a bedroom ceiling and I couldn't believe what I saw. Up on the underside of the roof sheeting was a ball of flies about the size if a softball. I put some insecticide in a shop vac and sucked them up. Over the next few years I found them clustering along certain windows near the weatherstripping.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/cluster-flies

We always get a few of these around a skylight at this time of year. Lee Valley sells a clever little trap that you stick onto the bottom inside edge of the glass that they naturally go into and get stuck.

Shop's looking great Drew. The canoe is a perfect iconic touch.

Here are some of the photos i took today. 14923040_10153786191676548_1527359376_o.jpg14958418_10153786195441548_809498736_n.jpg14937123_10153786191626548_660398074_n.jpg14937116_10153786194521548_159424033_n.jpg14957956_10153786191761548_1329199928_o.jpg14958076_10153786191081548_1220053132_o.jpg14954312_10153786190911548_1471011099_o.jpg14963539_10153786191471548_738012901_o.jpgH]

The first is the old pump house. I had to support the one corner while I took The corner support out to dig the trench to the well head.
Next is the new Well cap. The old system just came up inside the building to the pressure tank and then went underground to the house. Pipes always froze so now its all buried 2 ft below frost level. Next spring the building comes down.
Nest is the discharge drain for the new water softener. Too much salt during the flush cycle to put in the septic system so will do a couple of 90s and bury the pipe once the siding goes on next spring.
Next is inside the new mechanical room with the hot water tank, pressure tank, filter and softener tanks. everything is strapped to the wall as a sismic requirement. ( waiting for "the big one" to hit)
Then the wood shed I built in the rush to get all the winter wood in. ( one of the main reasons for my back issues)
Next is the first wall rack loaded with materials. Still lots more shorter stuff I need to build a rack for.
Shop is a disaster while I get everything done. This is the shot of the Ducting coming through the wall from the DC room ( an outside well insulated sound proof room). Two take offs right away for band saw and planer.
Last is one of 6 boxes of DC ducting parts. I picked up from a guy who was down siding his shop and took all the DC out. Sold for 75 bucks spiral ducting fittings and blast gates. Now its figure out where to use what.

Attachments

• 14914601_10153786195711548_1741388252_n.jpg
    14914601_10153786195711548_1741388252_n.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Spent the day getting some of the ducting up for the DC. Took far longer than I expected due to messing around with yet more gunked up 90s. Picking through the fittings I have to figure how to make what i want to do happen. So far its going along well but might need a few more lengths of ducting. I still have lots of flex hose under the shop that I have not used yet. Just want to use up as much of this as I can before resorting to that.

14970882_10153788176106548_541675464_o.jpg14924099_10153788176066548_301810222_o.jpg14914593_10153788305016548_1530811626_n.jpg14958119_10153788176221548_802878103_o.jpg

Looking just Ducty! That was a heck of a score on the duct work for sure.

Looks like you're making pretty solid progress there; ought to be mostly buttoned up by winter anyway.

Thanks all. yes it was an amazing deal on the ducting. Lots I just can't use as he had a scoop for radial arm saw and a few others that just will not work for my tools. Only three 5 inch aluminum blast gates the rest are all plastic and smaller. I have a few reducers too. All heavy guage stuff too. this is where the problem comes in as building supply stores here only catry the light guage home ducting. hard to find this heavy guage anymore. The biggest challenge has been the up and down the ladder. this looks like light work but it sure is hard on the back. I have been taking lots of breaks. Hooked and fired the bandsaw up today to make the blocks. It feels good getting the tools running again. I found I have to do a full once over on the planer as I noticed some rust on the feed rollers. Will do a full breakdown and clean up of all the tools before running them. can't afford to have something let go while the machine is running.

Last edited:
Spent the day getting some of the ducting up for the DC. Took far longer than I expected due to messing around with yet more gunked up 90s. Picking through the fittings I have to figure how to make what i want to do happen. So far its going along well but might need a few more lengths of ducting. I still have lots of flex hose under the shop that I have not used yet. Just want to use up as much of this as I can before resorting to that.
Couple of questions?
I'm about to hang my ambient air cleaner and thought to hang centered in the room but on one side of the shop. I've heard that doing so sets up a 'current' of air circulating through the room. I noticed yours is hung in the center of the room. Any specific reason? Something I should consider?
Next, you have your dust collector outside the shop. Do you have a air return set up to bring the filtered air back in? If not, may I assume it would be a bad idea to fire up the wood stove and turn on the collector?:eek:

Hi Rennie, The filter is just off center and the reasons for that are the wood stove the ceiling access hatch and lghts and whete the ducting was going all played a roll in where it is located. Also I didn't have room for a ceiling fan to move tbe warm air around so the filter does that. I will be installing a diverter to force the air downward this winter.The DC air is not recycled back into the room, that could change but right now it's not. With the wood stove I can't have any dust circulating in the shop so it will be a see how it goes. The wood stove throws off stupid amounts of heat. Enough to set the smoke / heat detector off at the other end of the shop. so loosing a bit of warm air is not a real concern right now. My last shop was like a refrigerator in the winter and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep the heat in. So this will be a welcome change.

Last edited:
Hi Darren, The big tools were stored last winter in a non heated building. I had wrapped them up pretty good but still some dampness got in. Once they are all cleaned I suspect this will be the last time I will have to do this.

After a full day of hanging ducting. I am down to the last lengths of 4 inch material. So far have not had to use any flex hose. Still have a few fittings left over and need a few more four inch 90 degrees to finish off the band saw hook up. So far its working great. Though my back is reminding me that it is still very much there. Moved more piles of wood around yet again back and forth as i work around them. Will be glad when this is all up and done so i can get some storage going.

14914843_10153790607511548_1140425441_n.jpg14957957_10153790630671548_1016384670_o.jpg14975758_10153790630861548_306428924_o.jpg