New Shop Journey

First, thanks everyone for the comments and riding along.

Bill and Rennie, I am farming out the insulation and drywall work. Paint-ready is the target.

Charles and all, there will be access panels as required, etc. My fellow retiree who is a communications infrastructure engineer (who keeps a copy of the code books next to the john) is rigorous in keeping me within the limits of the almighty NEC. In California we get away with murder. We get to use plastic back-boxes behind walls provided the box is covered with an approved cover plate / in-use cover plate.

All the locations shown in those pics that have back-boxes will be under a roof or in the as-yet-to-be-built DC shed. The 6x6x4 back-box shown is through-the-wall and has a face plate accessible from the DC shed side for future connection to 60 amp disconnect. As always Charles, thanks for the benefit of your years of experience. Ya gotta love the forum.

Last edited:
Given the price of plywood today I was happy to accept 2 sheets of rain damaged ply from my son-in-law. I was able to box in the attic ladder opening to hold the R-30 insulation at bay. I also used it for the small amount of platform area that will store Holiday decorations . . . and NOTHING more ;-)

Behind me.
New Shop (142).jpg
Right, center and left views.
New Shop (141).jpg . New Shop (140).jpg . New Shop (139).jpg

Glenn,
My comments are the result of being an Automation Engineer (EE) and holding an electrical contractors license for most of my working career. I'm 79 now, so let the license expire, but still know the code quite well. You are doing great with the project and the wiring. I'm just trying to keep you doing things to the code when I see something that may be very hard to correct if left until other work makes it very hard to correct. You are doing fine, and even a full time electrical contractor will sometimes need to make corrections after the inspector doesn't like something. I'm just trying to help you minimize this, just in case you will be getting it inspected.

Charley

What is the flex tubing you're using for data? Not sure I've seen that before.. also curious how it is to pull through.
I used 3/4" ENT (electrical non-metallic tubing) for my data stuff. It is not bad to pull through as long as you keep to long smooth sweeps when it comes to turns. My tightest curve is through the top plate since I am on the eave wall. It is still probably a 12" radius. Other curves in the path are more generous. You do not want to skimp on diameter or skip the appropriate connectors. Basically you want to design it to your use case. I used 3/4" expecting to run a CAT-6 and a Coax in one tube. We are pulling that today so I can report back later ;-)

Ok interesting, my ENT experience has been mostly watertight so I didn't recognize the blue stuff. Should provide a bit of wire protection anyway (y)

I'm assuming you already know about wire lube as well.. don't pull cable without it :)

Those are CAT-6 and speaker wires. I decided not to terminate them on face plates as the final design is still unknown. They need to be long enough to act as drop cords between the wall and the equipment. Once the computer and music system area stabilizes I will probably terminate them on wall plates.

I will probably terminate them on wall plates.
I can assure you that all of the low voltage nerds will be very disappointed in you if you do not. If for no other reason that the exposed cable is subject to some hazard, whereas in wall is safer. Some flap down dust covers (or.. I look forward to what else you find for this :D) wouldn't be a terrible idea either..