New Shop Journey

What's the size of that slab? Looks like it'll be a pretty spacious shop. Might take a while to fill it up.:giggle:
30 x 40 x 10‘ walls. About double the space I previously had. Big advantages will be the DC is outside the primary shop area and I don’t have to share it with the water heater, washer, and dryer. :)
SU Overview FWW.jpg
This means I’ll have room for a spraying area and a quasi-office/hardware storage area. One good thing about it taking so long is that I’m on about revision 16 of the floor plan and I’ve got it fairly well dialed in.

Last edited:
30 x 40 x 10‘ walls. About double the space I previously had. Big advantages will be the DC is outside the primary shop area and I don’t have to share it with the water heater, washer, and dryer :)

This means I’ll have room for a spraying area and a quasi-office/hardware storage area. One good thing about it taking so long is that I’m on about revision 16 of the floor plan and I’ve got it fairly well dialed in.
Mine's 28 X 32, but the DC is inside, and there's two 9 foot overhead doors that diminish the wall space. When I first moved in I wondered what I'd do with all that space. Now, it's filled, and I'd have to move something out in order to bring anything else in. Still, it's a nice 'problem' to have.

This going to be awesome, that slab certainly looks to be thick enough...is it that thick for a code compliance thing?
To code: 12” x 12” minimum footing (deeper in places due to slope of the land). 2” base material, moisture barrier, 2” sand, mesh and rebar in a 4” slab with the surface 8” above grade. Here's the general spec:
General Slab-Footing Detail.jpg
The concrete guy has done concrete in this part of California for decades and so brought some long term experience to what is an actual benefit over time. This is outside my area so forgive me if I murder the terminology but we specified some additional ties between slab mesh and the footing rebar. All concrete is mixed with Buckeye Fiber reinforcement material for a little extra confidence when the ground does the Watusi as it does out here.

Last edited:
You'll like the DC outside the shop... it's a noisy machine... my shop is only 12x24 and the DC has about a 3 x 5 footprint, counting the impeller, bags and motor... mine sits in a closet off the end of the shop with the main hose through the wall into the shop.

Sawing the control joints. I went this way instead of trowled joints after reading several folks posts about how glad they were that they did so. Rolling machines over a meeting pair of 3/8" radius edges at a troweled joint can be jarring.
New Shop (31).jpg . New Shop (32).jpg . New Shop (33).jpg
These are a fat 1/8" wide and 1" deep. I will fill them with a flexible caulk designed for such things. If I do it right the caulk will reside far enough below the surface to be missed by casters and footsteps.

Last edited:
To code: 12” x 12” minimum footing (deeper in places due to slope of the land). 2” base material, moisture barrier, 2” sand, mesh and rebar in a 4” slab with the surface 8” above grade. Here's the general spec:
View attachment 115141
The concrete guy has done concrete in this part of California for decades and so brought some long term experience to what is an actual benefit over time. This is outside my area so forgive me if I murder the terminology but we specified some additional ties between slab mesh and the footing rebar. All concrete is mixed with Buckeye Fiber reinforcement material for a little extra confidence when the ground does the Watusi as it does out here.
Your concrete guy steered you well. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I can't believe it has been a year since I got the concrete quote. The last couple of months were delays due to COVID impact but, the preceeding 9 months are what it took to get through two and three week intervals one right after the other that the city, county, fire marshal, etc. were allowed to respond to the simplest items. Estimated time to complete at the start was six weeks :D:D:D. If a box needed to be checked on a form, the city had 10 working days to lift thier pencil and the county got 15!!! --- Rant over. I have my slab :). Now I get to stare at it for a few weeks till the building arrives but, I'm OK with that.

That gives you lots of time to use up lots of rolls of masking tape to verify your shop layout a few dozen times :)
Thanks Tom. I have been saving, and having folks save, large cardboard pieces from TV's and other appliances. I have a collection that I will cutout to match the footprint of the larger machines. This will let me shuffle them about easily while fine tuning duct and outlet positions.

You are right-on about the tape though. I even use that method when the shop is operational to assure clearances for larger pieces before trying to maneuver them. Hopefully the generous open area I have planned will allow me to keep an assembly area clear enough that little planning is required for the scale of items I make.

I joke that the doulbe doors in that area are not only to bring stock in and take finished pieces out. They are also there so that if anything gets abandoned in my assembly area I will be able to easily . . . throw it out the doors!!! :)

Thanks Tom. I have been saving, and having folks save, large cardboard pieces from TV's and other appliances. I have a collection that I will cutout to match the footprint of the larger machines. This will let me shuffle them about easily while fine tuning duct and outlet positions.
Paper dolls for grown-up men, lol. :thumb:

I guess that you have you planned to put some sort of burglar alarm, right? With so many expensive machines and tools in there, the temptation to thieves might be too much.