New Shop Journey

It's from the Banqakönnt-Draynin (bank account draining) collection.

Primed some roof sheathing this morning. During the heat wave I am getting up at first light and priming / painting things like siding, trim, and other materials for the DC shed.

1317753263_NewShop(233).jpg.e0b7f7b05fead33ed79c5f8cd8548a19.jpg

Fortunately I can run the HVAC which allows me to work till about 10am. After that running the HVAC in an un-insulated building with no ceiling and gable and ridge vents gets a little silly. I should have it all done with a couple of more morning's effort.

Last edited:
Just a thought, before you close up the walls, how many outlets have you placed around the exterior of the building? I only put one outside the shop door and now wish I had placed at least two additional on other walls. You won't know how much you need them till you need them.

Just a thought, before you close up the walls, how many outlets have you placed around the exterior of the building? I only put one outside the shop door and now wish I had placed at least two additional on other walls. You won't know how much you need them till you need them.
Each door, north, east and south, have outdoor "porch" light switch/GFCI convenience receptacles. There are also two additional low height outlets on the wall facing the house as this will have a patio cover and be a gathering area. This area also has high height covered round boxes to feed the patio cover fans and lighting. There is also an outdoor "service" outlet by each HVAC unit.

Each door, north, east and south, have outdoor "porch" light switch/GFCI convenience receptacles. There are also two additional low height outlets on the wall facing the house as this will have a patio cover and be a gathering area. This area also has high height covered round boxes to feed the patio cover fans and lighting. There is also an outdoor "service" outlet by each HVAC unit.
I should have known, you've got it covered...and then some. :rofl:

It must have been more than frustrating to have to wait for all the inspections, permits, etc to build a shop. We live in the county in TN... little to no regulations.... I know I would have and likely would have been saying bad words by the second week or so.
My shop was erected in 2 days even with the crew playing with the campfire and trying to boil water in a plastic bottle.... and the second day was to put the roof on since they brought the wrong roof first day and had to go back and get the correct one the second day.....then it took me about a week to wire and trim out the inside with pressboard and mdf for my work tops.
It's nowhere as elaborate as your looks to be nor as big.... I regret not putting in more plugs around the walls... I put a plug every other stud, studs on 20" centers and I don't have near enough.

The insulation is fiberglass. It is un-faced. I have no bathroom or other moisture generating source in the building. The fiberglass has a treatment to the face that keeps things together while handling. I don't know if it is a spray or what but, it has a definite brownish color.

Graded the dirt around the DC shed, built the three walls.
New Shop (235).jpg . New Shop (236).jpg
It wasn't bad building the walls in the shop . . . where I had to test the air conditioning to assure it still worked following the insulation installation.
New Shop (237).jpg
Not that we would use it frivolously or anything.

Last edited:
And so it continues. Really amazing how solid the structure becomes with just the roof sheathing on.
New Shop (248).jpgNew Shop (250).jpgNew Shop (253).jpg
The DC shed doesn't look so big when you view the whole shop from ways off.
New Shop (252).jpg
The electrical for lighting and the DC disconnect are in splice boxes on the outside wall of the shop which makes then now on the inside of the DC shed.

Attachments

• New Shop (251).jpg
    New Shop (251).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
  • New Shop (249).jpg
    New Shop (249).jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Looks really nice..... Compared to your fancy smancy shed, my DC shed looks like a jury rigged outhouse at the end of my shop.

New Shop 007.JPG New Shop 006.JPG

There's a coating of dust in there now that bleeds out of the upper bag... the bottom bag has a 45 gallon plastic trash bag inside the canvas one.
The door is actually a different color because I didn't have a green piece big enough to cover the door, but there was a left over maroon piece...
don't know where the maroon sheet metal came from or why the crew had it... think the first roof they brought was maroon which was wrong and they
had to go back to Dalton, GA and get the green roof.

Looks like yours will do the job just fine Chuck. I tend to overbuild. We get hellacious winds here annually and a good breeze nearly all the rest of the time. That along with being in earthquake country and wanting to keep the noise under control led to a bit of a beast of a structure.