New Shop Journey

I have had my straight edge out setting up machines. For over two years it has been safely in hiding. In the old shop I had a safe place for it while not in use. Here I do not have one yet. I do have some leftover electrical components and some plywood . . .
New Shop (483).jpg . New Shop (484).jpg
I ca now hang it anywhere there is a cleat.
New Shop (485).jpg
The top of the tube slide into the top saddle and the bottom of the tube rests in the slip-to-thread fitting.
New Shop (486).jpg
At least now I don't have to stress over it just laying around the shop.

I like the pull out shelf idea. I have a metal cabinet like that and no telling what's in the back!
That is absolutely the reason :D. Any cabinet or shelf that is more than 18" deep extends into the Twilight Zone. Things back there never get used, get replaced for no reason, and so forth. I learned my lesson. Full extension is my solution to the dimensional barrier that lies at about a foot and a half in 😬.

The right end of my tablesaw has always been no-man's-land. I used to use that area for ducting, electrical and a gateway to the Twilight Zone mentioned above. That area is now wide open and requires a change in my thinking. I have things that stay at the saw like . . .
New Shop (489).jpg . New Shop (490).jpg
These items used to hang from the side of the cyclone that was ear-blisteringly close to the tablesaw operator position on the right side. I have planned a swath of wall behind me for such things in the new shop but then I notice the right end of the saw as it appears now . . .
New Shop (487).jpg
Some scrap strips and some of that pegboard my dad got scads of for free when a paint store was going out downtown . . . we're talking the '60s here. Dad stored and used it for years. I got a couple dozen 2'x4' panels when he was thinning the heard years ago. Still using it . . .
New Shop (491).jpg
Anyway . . . presto.
New Shop (488).jpg

LOL. I'm close Don but not quite that far into it. I did however notice that the right side of the router table was only holding the miter gauge.
New Shop (492).jpg
This was fine when I could just squeeze by. Now that I can actually stand in front of that area and bend over to take something off the peg . . .
New Shop (493).jpg
The miter gauge may go back there. I don't use the miter gauge often on the router table but, like on the bandsaw, I would hate to be without it. Use is seldom enough that something that gets used more often may move to the new panel. Time will tell . . . a shop is always evolving.

Maybe worth posting - Dust Bin Bag Holder Thingy.

My method to date for cyclone dust bin bag management has just been to keep an eye on it till enough spoil is in there to hold the bag well. With the DC out in a shed this would be problematic. Granted I am one of those that sometimes solves a problem no one has but, this has been planned for a couple of years. Finally . . .

Measure the circumference of your barrel. Add about 6" for overlap. Measure the depth. I left it about an inch short in case any bag material or spoil got trapped under it. Grab your FRP panel that has been patiently waiting in the garage since 2019. Cut your strip to size.

New Shop (496).jpg . New Shop (497).jpg

Test fit, clamp to hold position and mark for rivet positions.

New Shop (498).jpg

Grab that handy pop rivet kit you can't remember why you bought but use at least once a decade. This one is from Sears back when you could walk in, buy a discount tool, and expect it to work for awhile.

New Shop (499).jpg

I chose to use a washer on the inside of the rivet to provide more grip on the fiberglass panel.

New Shop (500).jpg

Drill a hole, push the rivet through, place the washer over it and cycle the tool.

New Shop (501).jpg . New Shop (502).jpg . New Shop (503).jpg

. . . cont'd

Last edited:
cont'd . . .

A post riveted test fit.

New Shop (504).jpg

I drilled a couple of holes on opposite sides of the fiberglass tube and slipped sections of rope through to act as handles. I failed to take a pic of this for some reason. Oh well, slip the tube into the bag and slip the whole rig into the barrel.

New Shop (505).jpg . New Shop (506).jpg

Wheel the new conglomeration out to the shed and install the barrel.

New Shop (507).jpg . New Shop (508).jpg

That's one more off the list!

Well, if I am down to caulking door trim and touching up paint I guess this journey is over.
New Shop (509).jpg
Thanks to everyone that tagged along, gave me ideas (knowingly or unknowingly), and encouragement. Anything that happens from here on will be considered an actual shop activity and will get its own thread if deserving. Thanks again!

it has been a journey that we have all (maybe not you at times) .. have thoroughly enjoyed. Our thanks for sharing. We look forward to your projects from this point forward .... hard to believe, given all the space and new layout ... they can improve in any way from those we have seen before. Enjoy the new shop.