New sign bits

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
HOW DID YOU GET THAT FOR 180 ????????????

I have used inserted cutters in the the machine industry for years. Some good points some not so good. Mostly the solid carbide cutter did a better job. I find that the inserts cost near as much or sometimes more than a solid cutter. Also the body will wear out or it can be crashed and destroyed. BTDT so many times.

I needed a 30 degree cutter recently and I bought the Amana inserted bit to give it a try. I have not yet tried it. I have a substantial array of cutters, 99.9% solid carbide, and from several different manufacturers. I dunno - after using so many different things from so many different sources I just don't have a serious take on any of them. I even bought some cheap tapered ball nose cutters on EBAY from China and they perform well. I think I did a video cutting a 3D eagle head in brass with a cheap EBAY cutter. They were like $5 or $8 each.

I generally get a lot of heat and negativity when I post my views on cutters, but I have been using these things in all sorts of machines cutting all sorts of materials for many decades.

Still, I like cool stuff and I do buy cool stuff. Sometimes it does make a difference. One thing I look for in a cutter is the material it is made from. Carbide is not just carbide and more than wood is just wood. Also the quality of the sharpening. Amana is ONE of the better ones in this stuff.

Sooooo - after all that junk being said --- CONGRATS on a GREAT deal.

HOW DID YOU GET THAT FOR 180 ????????????

I have used inserted cutters in the the machine industry for years. Some good points some not so good. Mostly the solid carbide cutter did a better job. I find that the inserts cost near as much or sometimes more than a solid cutter. Also the body will wear out or it can be crashed and destroyed. BTDT so many times.

I needed a 30 degree cutter recently and I bought the Amana inserted bit to give it a try. I have not yet tried it. I have a substantial array of cutters, 99.9% solid carbide, and from several different manufacturers. I dunno - after using so many different things from so many different sources I just don't have a serious take on any of them. I even bought some cheap tapered ball nose cutters on EBAY from China and they perform well. I think I did a video cutting a 3D eagle head in brass with a cheap EBAY cutter. They were like $5 or $8 each.

I generally get a lot of heat and negativity when I post my views on cutters, but I have been using these things in all sorts of machines cutting all sorts of materials for many decades.

Still, I like cool stuff and I do buy cool stuff. Sometimes it does make a difference. One thing I look for in a cutter is the material it is made from. Carbide is not just carbide and more than wood is just wood. Also the quality of the sharpening. Amana is ONE of the better ones in this stuff.

Sooooo - after all that junk being said --- CONGRATS on a GREAT deal.
My sets work out to about $1.00 each (per cutter). Results are good. I'm not a high volume wood worker, maybe the high priced stuff would prove it's worth if I were. Dunno.