New Sliding CMS

Don Baer

Staff member
Well I started to build the sides to convert my side by side trailer to a utility trailer by making removeable sides. I picked up the lumber yesterday and the other hardware was delivered this morning (gotta love Amazon Prime). Anyhow I took out my trusty ole (40 years old) skill saw and proceeded to cut the 4x2's for the posts and as soon as I pulled the trigger for the first cut I could tell that the bearing had gone bad. Rather than change out the blade and use my other trusty old (30 years old) skill saw I decided I needed a new saw. I had been thinking about a new CMS for a while and I really was sorry I had gotten rid of my DeWalt non slider CMS several years ago. I went down to the boarg and looked at the DeWalt 12 inch double compound 14" slider and stand and liked it but the 950 price tag made me gulp. Some time back I had been looking at the new Hercules line from Harbor freight and I decided to give their slider a good look before plumping down nearly a grand for a new saw. The had the 12" double compound 14" slider for sale with the stand for a little over $600. I played with it in the store and felt I would give it a try. With my discount for the Harbor Freight I was able to get the saw and stand for $550 tax included so It may not be a DeWalt but it seems like a great saw and will get the job done. I plan on doing a lot of remodeling once I get up north and know that this saw will come in real handy. I actually like the stand better than the one that DeWalt offered.
20210925_141956.jpg

Looks like a good setup, Don. I think Harbor Freight has been stepping up their power tool game in the last few years.