New Tool

Rob Keeble

Well i dont know how many of you have noticed that Narex the Czech manufacturer of chisels has recently launched a few new tools in the carving area.
Lee Valley and Highland Woodworking have them in stock. Pls dont get them from Amazon or soon there wont be a woodworking store left.

Anyhow i popped down to see them and picked up this adze.
First one out the gate i was not happy with but took it back and in typical LV style the counter sales person made no fuss simply went and fetched everyone they had in stock (about 10) for me to choose from. The write up on their website had said comes sharpened and honed (yeah right!!) anyway i got one that at least looked like it had not been messed with.

Wanted the hook knives but after holding them decided the handles were not up to a $44 Canadian tool.
Narex are not known for their handles. I have their full line of chisels and i dont think the handles are that great but the steel is good and overall the cost is hard to beat.

ea7c597c42122cd04016d4c6043c3170.jpg
b62e06c4fd8c67c3ed9c43b1f9647836.jpg

Someday i will get around to making my shave horse so i can work some green wood.

...Pls dont get them from Amazon or soon there wont be a woodworking store left....

I need one of these. Be curious to hear your thoughts/and techniques after you hone it sharp. Thanks for the reminder about Amazon. I totally go there first and keep forgetting about how great Lee Valley is.

Ted its my 4th Adze. I think this one i am going to completely regrind my own shape on the front.
All the Adzes i come across are very round in their cut.
I want to take the corners off the curve and make it more square edged like a cowboy hat upside down.

I am prepared for whatever.

I decided this tool i am going to "make it my own" just hope i dont spoil it.