New woodworking bench in the works - Completed!!!

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well, now that I'm retired and on lockdown, I have LOTS of shop time:) I have had the wood to make this for, well, years, just waiting for time to do it. I actually like it as it it teaching me many processes I have not done before. The top, since I can't go to my buds and make use of his wide belt, did it in 4 sections then glued to 2 then to 1 to keep flat, with a little hand plane action, SUCCESS! then to the base, 8 blind mortises, 8 through mortises using forester bit, chisels and mallet, got them done! Tomorrow its on to tenon's. The bench top will be 78" x 28.5" x 2" thick, it is built out of white oak and HEAVY (top weighs 102 lbs) and will be wrapped with 1.5" x 6" apron (3/4" inner layer walnut and 3/4" outer face will be curly maple) still researching vises, have one that is going on my existing bench, but need one for my new one, will see, those are expensive.
IMG_3436.jpgIMG_3441.jpgIMG_3443.jpgIMG_3447.jpgIMG_3450.jpgIMG_3455.jpgIMG_3475.jpgIMG_3480.jpgIMG_3481.jpgIMG_3482.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a Chuck Thoits mallet? I like what you did with the leather on it.
Yep, it is a Chuck mallet, love it! It actually came to me with the leather on it.
Not much to see as if today, just final fitting of the tenons, did cut slots for wedges and will cut them out tomorrow out of jarrah. But did order a vise today, really excited about it!

4BB8B1CE-3335-4F5D-B29E-342FB56D74B7.jpeg
it is classified as an end vise, but can be used as a face vise, which I plan on doing👍

Base is glued together and positioned where it will live, top is cut to final length and ready for the vise to be bolted on this weekend. Originally planned on having the top centered on the base, but the vise is larger than planned, thats ok, I see professional benches with the top off centered, so if they can, I can 🙂 Weighed everything as I built, total weight including vise is 200lbs, that should stay put! The drawer cabinet pictured will be mounted in the framework of the base, I feel that will be good use of the space and open up room for something else:)IMG_3517.jpgIMG_3518.jpgIMG_3521.jpgIMG_3522.jpgIMG_3523.jpg

maybe someday i can drop over to see it in person.. well done bud:) i dont know if i would put that old cabinet under it i would build another and leave the old one where it is.. put other valuebles under the bench top