New woodworking bench in the works - Completed!!!

Thanks all, truly appreciate your comments :)
Question on finish, I am planning on using BLO for it, how about he top? I’ve read yes with finish, no finish, yes and no wax? I know it needs something so glue does not stick, but don’t want it too slick, what have you all done on the top of your bench?

Well, it's complete (y) Put a couple light coats of BLO and I really like how that made the wood look, never used BLO before, will use again! I totaled up the cost of building this, 95% was free wood (white oak for the top and most of the oak for the base), we milled the walnut from free wood, and the curly maple I purchased years ago for 95 cents BF and the cost of the vise and some lag bolts, so a grand total of about $320.00, not bad if I say so:) Now on to other builds, 1st up will be a new coffee table for our living room. thanks for following and your kind comments:)IMG_3566.jpgIMG_3567.jpgIMG_3568.jpgIMG_3569.jpgIMG_3570.jpg

Looks really nice Tom! I do love how blo pops maple grain.

I'm perhaps a bit concerned about your mitered corners, that top is likely to move a bit so it'll be interesting to so how the cross grain ends hold up. If it just shrinks a bit probably not too much of an issue.

Great job, Tom! That came out looking great. Now you just need a tablecloth for it. And maybe a set of matching chairs. :D

Seriously, that's the kind of workbench you'll be handing down to your grandkids some day. :thumb:

Thanks everyone, I’m looking forward to using it, next week sometime. I’m drawing up the plans for my next project (coffee table) in mission design to match everything else. I’ve worked every day in my shop since I retired, going to take a few days off:)

I thought I’d lay flat and let dry? What is the best recommended way? I guess that is something I didn’t completely think out

I lay them flat in the grill, figure even if they catch there it's not likely to burn anything. They're pretty unlikely to catch when laid flat but it's possible it could happen maybe. The other suggestion is usually to dump them in a bucket of water. Main thing is don't leave them bunched up in a pile.

I lay them flat in the grill, figure even if they catch there it's not likely to burn anything. They're pretty unlikely to catch when laid flat but it's possible it could happen maybe. The other suggestion is usually to dump them in a bucket of water. Main thing is don't leave them bunched up in a pile.

I lay them flat on concrete, not near any combustables. Outside is probably best but you have to make sure the wind will not blow the burning rag toward anything combustible. That is why I really like Ryan's solution.

Of course the wife might wonder why the hamburgers have a strange tang to them.