No explanation required

Funny thing... I am used to see it in a pot with and brush inside and on a stove...:unsure:;)
That's "Old Brown Glue" Rennie's using. It's a liquified version of hide glue that only needs to be a bit above room temperature (70°F or 21.1°C) to use. I Have it in a smaller bottle, and I just sit it in a cup of hot tap water for a few minutes before using it. I do the same with Titebond liquid hide glue.

Last edited:
I don't use much hyde glue, but I use a baby bottle warmer with a temperature adjustment. A small container that fits inside and a brush are all the extras that are necessary. Having no young children to raise for the past 50 years, I had to go to a thrift store to find one. It cost me $1.48 plus tax. It does a great job of keeping my hyde glue at just the right temperature. Again, I don't use much, just an occasional chair repair, etc.

Charley

That's "Old Brown Glue" Rennie's using. It's a liguified version of hide glue that only needs to be a bit above room temperature (70°F or 21.1°C) to use. I Have it in a smaller bottle, and I just sit it in a cup of hot tap water for a few minutes before using it. I do the same with Titebond liquid hide glue.
I do not want to hijack this thread, but what advantages or specific uses has hide glue vs Titebond or other synthetic glue?

That's "Old Brown Glue" Rennie's using. It's a liguified version of hide glue that only needs to be a bit above room temperature (70°F or 21.1°C) to use. I Have it in a smaller bottle, and I just sit it in a cup of hot tap water for a few minutes before using it. I do the same with Titebond liquid hide glue.
I don't use much hyde glue, but I use a baby bottle warmer with a temperature adjustment. A small container that fits inside and a brush are all the extras that are necessary. Having no young children to raise for the past 50 years, I had to go to a thrift store to find one. It cost me $1.48 plus tax. It does a great job of keeping my hyde glue at just the right temperature. Again, I don't use much, just an occasional chair repair, etc.

Charley
I like using it for glue ups that have a few parts coming together at the same time and for joints that need to 'slide' together like deep M&T and through M&T's. The open time is nice and long and the glue lubricates a joint unlike yellow glue witch almost immediately swells the wood and makes snug joints require a lot of mallet and clamp pressure to close. Of course there are times when the lubricating feature can be a bad thing, like gluing up panels without biscuits, splines, or dowels. IMHO

I do not want to hijack this thread, but what advantages or specific uses has hide glue vs Titebond or other synthetic glue?
I like using it for glue ups that have a few parts coming together at the same time and for joints that need to 'slide' together like deep M&T and through M&T's. The open time is nice and long and the glue lubricates a joint unlike yellow glue witch almost immediately swells the wood and makes snug joints require a lot of mallet and clamp pressure to close. Of course there are times when the lubricating feature can be a bad thing, like gluing up panels without biscuits, splines, or dowels. IMHO
What Rennie said, plus it's more 'forgiving' if you miss cleaning off the excess. It doesn't show up as a 'blotch' under most finishes.

Luthiers also like using hide glue because it can be undone with heat and moisture. It's great for things like gluing a neck on a guitar. If the neck ever needed to be replaced, it could be carefully removed without harming the guitar body.