Not fine woodworking

allen levine

After I made all those layered wooden farm animals and they seemed to be a hit I decided to make a pair of dogs to give my daughter in law for her birthday
Again this is 2x4 2x3and 2x8
She has 2 rescue dogs both are terrier type mixed breeds
One is black one is tan/white
I broke down again and purchased a pattern to cut
This is raw wood and I eliminated body and made it a small planter as she loves gardening and flowers
Don't judge too harshly
I know this isn't fine or anything close to fine woodworking
Just keeping busy and busting bandsaw blades
I have plastic eyes and nose for these

Attachments

• 443A96F6-CBCC-421F-B480-FEB47A3F798F.jpeg
    443A96F6-CBCC-421F-B480-FEB47A3F798F.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 23533CDC-5222-4FEF-A459-32313BE14CEC.jpeg
    23533CDC-5222-4FEF-A459-32313BE14CEC.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 30
One funny note
Yesterday we had a lot of kids trick treating
A lot of the babies were so excited about the layered farm animals and I told the parents it's ok if they wanted to pet and touch the animals

A 16 month old robbed me
She picked up the 6 inch rooster and put it in her bag
No one noticed
When her mom looked in her bag checking everything anyone puts in her bag saw it and returned it
Nice my work is appreciated so much it was worth stealing hehehe

They're super cool and fun though! Love the planter idea with the animals. I think you could have a lot of fun with that :) (y)

Kids around that age crack me up. We were at the garden space eariler this year and the owners daughter (who I guess is a bit over 3 now..) came out and stole a corn cob we'd picked, not really surreptitiously more like "this corn is now mine, I claim it as MINE Muhahaha". You don't really argue with that...

I'm going to take a toothpick dipped in paint and stroke it down front of dog to look like hair since Rocky has a large mix of hair color mostly grey black and white with brown
I'm no good when it comes to paining here's Rocky the darker doggie
I'm doing my best

Attachments

• CDA3B93B-DF42-4125-AC5C-A1E908E8C119.jpeg
    CDA3B93B-DF42-4125-AC5C-A1E908E8C119.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3A4130A0-7667-4A8C-A3DC-208D04212A59.jpeg
    3A4130A0-7667-4A8C-A3DC-208D04212A59.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 23
Your title is, "Not fine woodworking". Well I am here to tell you that is FINE woodworking!!!!! Wow. Always love your projects and the attention to detail and unique traits each takes on! Don't sell yourself short my friend.

Charley, could you, would you please post a tutorial on the creation of that reindeer? Please.

I thought Id mention, none of the patterns are my own...i figured everyone knew, but I wanted to mention I purchased patterns online. not sure if Im allowed to mention company here.
I just ordered some more to make some yard patterns of animals...just the big black plywood type...forgot what they call them...I have some requests for some more of the dogs, but I will paint them with the colors I have on hand...mostly browns.
I have no truck anymore, and needed some lumber....sheets, so I used home depots 79 dollar delivery fee, put everything in the order to make it worth wild.
my son in laws brother just purchased a small pickup and told me anytime I want to borrow it...but driving out there....then I have to worry about scratching it up....ID rather just pay once or twice a year delivery fee.

I thought Id mention, none of the patterns are my own...i figured everyone knew, but I wanted to mention I purchased patterns online. not sure if Im allowed to mention company here...
Sure, you can mention the company. We mention all sorts of company names here. No different than me saying I have a Powermatic lathe and like Thompson gouges. ;)

Please define what fine woodworking means to you, and then we can start debating. To me the point is that it is not what you do but how you do it.
And by "how" I don't mean the literal way of doing it, but wether you care for what you are doing or not. Wether you strive to do things to the best of your capabilities or not.
To me this is as fine woodworking as any other so called "fine woodworking" project you may think of.

Charley, could you, would you please post a tutorial on the creation of that reindeer? Please
Johnathan,

I don't have a video of doing it, but did make a step by step explanation with photos and posted it on www.scrollsawvillage.com about 2 years ago. I'll find the links to it and post them for you. I make 4 sizes. I've been making them every year for the past 17 years, except for last year when I had a leg problem and couldn't get to the shop. I'm late getting started this year, but will be making them soon.

My original pattern for these came from Mathias Wandel's website www.woodgears.ca, but then cleaned up the drawing a bit. I used Photoshop to size it and then place as many copies as possible on an 8 1/2 X 11" sheet of paper. Then cut each pattern pair out and fold between the face and side view. The folding keeps the two images aligned with each other. I use an old HP laser printer, but inkjet will work OK too. There are two views to each pattern, a face view and a side view. You fold the line between the views and then glue the view pair to the edge and face of the block of wood. You then put the wood in a clamp and cut the face view. Then, while keeping the pieces together and aligned, you cut the side view.

When finished, the reindeer is in the middle of the block of wood. You just remove the cut pieces to find him. The smallest take me about 15 minutes to cut. The larger are easier to cut, so I can do them faster, about 7 minutes for the largest, which is several inches high. A good scroll saw that is super tuned is necessary, especially for the smallest. Yes, I do use magnification for the little ones.

This is the smallest that I can make without loosing more in the cutting process than turn out good. This size usually become ear rings. Larger sizes become necklaces, pins, or just sit on a shelf, or with a ribbon, hang from the tree. I have made them 2 sizes smaller than these, but I make more scrap than keepers. At this size, their legs are about the size of tooth picks. Smaller reindeer have legs smaller than tooth picks and very fragile. I use hard maple for these smaller sizes. Pine is OK for those that will sit on a shelf.

I never sell. I give them away during the Christmas Season, to any woman who helps me in some way. Sales clerk, nurse, doctor, waitress, etc. I hold out my hand, palm down, but with the reindeer in it and wish them a Very Merry Christmas". When they hold out their hand, I drop the reindeer into it. I've been hugged and even kissed on the cheek many times, but "thank you" is enough.

The second photo was a full day's production 2 years ago.

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0509.JPG
    DSCF0509.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0510.JPG
    DSCF0510.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
the winfield collection. this kind of stuff is good for me when I have no flatwork projects Im working on....it keeps me occupied, everyone likes them., everyone wants one or two....and they are real inexpensive to make.
really inexpensive if I just take the cut offs from someone who is doing construction....they throw out the 10 inch pieces, , even old 2 bys, with nails, glue, dont matter, my only problem is if elen sees me putting something froma trash bin into her new suv, she might do something bad to me in my sleep, so I have to be real sneaky

I ran into some problems posting the instructions, but with Vaughn's help the problem that I was having may be OK now, but my available time to work on it will be quite short over the next few days. First there were too many words, so I broke it apart into two, maybe 3 sections. Now, I'm concerned about the step by step pictures and if they will post OK, because there are quite a few. Today requires me to be elsewhere, so it may be a day or two before I can work on getting it all posted. At least there is still a few weeks left before Christmas.

Charley

Too cold to start any projects so I've been chopping up 2x6 s and making layered dog planters
They are a big hit
Someone with a shinzumutt wanted one to look like their dog so I improvised pattern and cut some of my own oieces
When I finish painting it I'll post it
I remind people I'm cutting up 2 x 4 s I'm not an artist

Attachments

• 43227A26-F98B-4C2D-A2CC-98BD49C4F39E.jpeg
    43227A26-F98B-4C2D-A2CC-98BD49C4F39E.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
Here's their doggie and pic I had to work off of

The way I look at these silly projects is that I'm sitting in my house eating myself to death during the past year
If I can do something outside it helps me feel a bit better and I might get some exercise I need

Attachments

• FCA4FB85-1520-4006-BD1E-A2B71EE8AE09.jpeg
    FCA4FB85-1520-4006-BD1E-A2B71EE8AE09.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 19
  • C1217E12-BC79-4E22-B7C8-FAE577339155.jpeg
    C1217E12-BC79-4E22-B7C8-FAE577339155.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 19