Not totally flatwork, but.....

fred hargis

Some years ago I bought a lathe though I'm not a turner. I had always planned on doing turnings for my flatwork stuff and somehow just didn't get around to it. A couple of months ago I was reading an issue of PWW from last year (I'm way behind on my magazines) and came across a "William and Mary table with drawer" that seemed like a good candidate for my turning ambitions. I should point out: the article was labeled "advanced", I don't consider myself an advanced woodworker, though I am an experienced woodworker. The results probably show that. Anyway, this is what the article had as a design and what I wound up with:
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.33.32 AM.pngfinished.JPG

As I said, I'm not a turner. Also, the article was really sketchy on details (nothing on turning the legs) so a lot of this had to be interpreted form the info given. On the legs I created a pattern on paper and tried to turn it....several times, on practice wood. First I used poplar, then switched to doug fir (ughhh). You can see the first one wasn't close at all. Over time I did get closer.
turnedleg.JPG5 legs.JPG
These are 2 piece legs and the feet are turned seperately. I chose a different approach to the feet...partly because I was sure I couldn't turn the bun feet, partly because I didn't have any 3x3 stock, and mostly because I wasn't fond of they way they looked. The rest of the table was just a straight forward table, except for the stretchers. There was just enough info in the article to draw out the needed pattern, and lay out the stretcher.template.JPG stretchers lapped.JPG

After that it was fairly simple, other than finding the pendant pull. Not knowing what htey were called at the time, I searched for "dangle berry with an escutcheon" and actually didn't get any results that can be mentioned on a family forum :dunno:, go figure. A friend helped out and I got this one from Van Dykes.