Oak Sideboard from Music Cabinet

Dave Richards

I've been looking at various designs for a sideboard for our dining room. This started out life as a music cabinet built about 1900. The music cabinet, built in white oak, is a little less than half as wide, has only one drawer and had a curtain instead of a door. It is about 3 inches shallower front to back. There are little square inlays on the back splash slats. The look like ivory on the original. I'm not so sure about the brackets near the bottom of the back legs. That's an original detail but I'm thinking the back feet should match the front ones and skip the brackets. The center stiles might get slimmed down. I was thinking of a secret compartment between the drawers.

that would seem to be a design feature, re: the feet. as the cabinet would be against a wall, why put fancy feet where they would not be prominently seen, like the front. the brackets provide some support against any racking that a cabinet like that may encounter.

Looks nice. I agree on reducing the stile widths, maybe to match the leg widths. I can see where the curved bracket matches the curve at the back on top. I'm kind of with you on making the leg match the front though. If you're planning to do the inlays, maybe a single one to match, centered on the side panels, might add some interest.