Oh My, Why Did I Wait So Long

Paul Douglass

Last November I finally purchased a router lift for my router table.... Today was the first occasion I had to use my router since I purchased it. Why did I not do this 15 or 20 years ago. It is so nice. Now I will look for reason to use my router instead of looking for way to accomplish something without using it. It really wasn't expensive, so I don't know why it did not so it before. I got the JessEm 2310 with all the inserts. A little over $200 and with a surprise gift of $100 from my neighbor... it was cheap for a router lift.... I think I spent the gift wisely...

i agree with you picked up one used and it set in my shop for over a year before i installed it and now i wonder how i put up with using the table without it. to me the best part is the adjustment you actually have numbers that work to use for raising or lowering.

I have a Bosch 1617vs
This give me the chance to ask a question that have been with me since I got a VS router. I have never changed the speed and don't know when I should. Are there reasons to very the speed, based on size of bit, type of wood, or type of cut? I use mine mostly for picture frame or rounding over edges.

I have a Bosch 1617vs
This give me the chance to ask a question that have been with me since I got a VS router. I have never changed the speed and don't know when I should. Are there reasons to very the speed, based on size of bit, type of wood, or type of cut? I use mine mostly for picture frame or rounding over edges.

I have the big P-C 7518 in mine. It's variable speed (actually five pre-set speeds) and I generally only use two of them - the highest and the lowest. For big bits, like panel raisers, etc., I go to the lowest speed, which is around 10,000 rpm. For roundovers, dados, etc. the highest speed - about 23,000 rpm - works well. I suppose I'd use the mid-range speeds more if I had any mid-sized bits, but all of mine seem to be either very large, or whatever passes for 'normal' sized.

BTW, my lift is the Woodpeckers version. I like it a lot, but I would like to tweak the adjustment setup a bit.