Oh shoot. This one's gonna be a pain

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My DW 735 stopped feeding and I was hoping it might just be the chain drive. Not so lucky. I'll contact Byrd on Monday morning and see what the warranty covers. This is gonna put a wrench in my schedule.

What you're looking at is the worm gear at the end of the Byrd Shelix cutter head. I believe I tossed the old one out several months ago. IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg 🥴

100 episodes of Forged in Fire

Only one where a local acquaintance was on it haha.

But yeah the crystal form looks kind of coarse from where I'm sitting.. and really it should break like that unless something super bad happened (and even then I'd expect the gears to shear first).

I'm somewhat reminded of when I moved to this house I was putting in a fence and needed to move a number of fairly large rocks (and break up a few more). I went down to the local and picked up a heavy metal pinch bar, this was about 1" thick solid steel 5'6" long and weighs about 15 lbs. I'd had it for around a day and was levering a fairly heavy rock over and with a loud PING the bar snapped in half. I took it back and asked for a replacement with the explanation "I'm strong, I ain't that strong..".

The steel on this looks about the same as that bar did where it snapped.

I sent an email with several pics off to Byrd this morning and I'm waiting for a reply. I hope the warranty covers this.

This is their warranty in total - "We guarantee our products for high quality material and workmanship."

Well, some good news. Spoke to Byrd Tool Corp and they offered a full replacement without so much as a flinch. Only hiccup is that I will need to wait for a return tag, box it up and send it back to them. Once they receive it they will send out the replacement. I won't even have to cover postage. I was worried that it might not be covered because I have had it for 18 months. Whew, a weight off my shoulders!

Great customer service, for sure!

BTW, is the 'backup' working?
It is a fire breathing monster! I had to get used to watching grain direction again. Suffered some tear out having forgotten that I didn't have the helical head. I was able to minimize the snipe I told you about by dropping the bed rollers to just a few thousandths above the bed, I feed at a slight angle and tug up on the end a bit.