OK - Page TWO

We're currently using an older version of the "Breville Smart Grinder Pro" which is IMHO a smidge large for home usage and maybe a touch on the pricey side, but I got it for free soo.. can't complain...

I think picking a "best" here is perhaps a bit difficult. There are basically a handful of criteria I'd use (I may well be missing something coffee nerds please help add to this set):
  • Burr grinder, I don't think this is really negotiable. I use blade grinders for fine spices but not for coffee...
  • A tight grinding support/adjustment mechanism that produces a consistent grind (for what you want.. see the next point)
  • Adjustable TO THE TYPE of coffee you brew (some espresso grinders don't go coarse enough for french press, and vice versa)
  • Not overly difficult to take apart and clean (our last grinder had a "safety switch" I had to bypass wire when it broke for that.. heh).
  • Has sufficient hopper capacity for the amount of coffee you want out and a sealable lid on the hopper to keep it clean/stuff out.

I used to use a Kitchen Aid classic style burr grinder, model A9. It was a pain because the oils in the beans would cause the burrs to clog. When it clogged it would overspeed and spit bits of ground coffee bean all over the place.

Now I use a Nutri-Bullet blade grinder. I have a dedicated bottle and cutter head that is ONLY for coffee. By pulsing it I can grind to almost any size of grit.

I perk coffee when I am at the trailer, but I use a MoccaMaster KBGT drip at home.

Don't know the name, but I think we have a grinder in the back of the cabinet somewhere.... not going to get on my knees to look for it.

I buy what ever coffee is cheap... a famous chef once said the brand of coffee doesn't matter.... it's the way you make it that counts.
Even though we have the capabilities to make single serve cups, I don't find them strong enough for my taste and they're more problematic to me than making a full carafe.

We're currently using an older version of the "Breville Smart Grinder Pro" which is IMHO a smidge large for home usage and maybe a touch on the pricey side, but I got it for free soo.. can't complain...

I think picking a "best" here is perhaps a bit difficult. There are basically a handful of criteria I'd use (I may well be missing something coffee nerds please help add to this set):
  • Burr grinder, I don't think this is really negotiable. I use blade grinders for fine spices but not for coffee...
  • A tight grinding support/adjustment mechanism that produces a consistent grind (for what you want.. see the next point)
  • Adjustable TO THE TYPE of coffee you brew (some espresso grinders don't go coarse enough for french press, and vice versa)
  • Not overly difficult to take apart and clean (our last grinder had a "safety switch" I had to bypass wire when it broke for that.. heh).
  • Has sufficient hopper capacity for the amount of coffee you want out and a sealable lid on the hopper to keep it clean/stuff out.
I think you pretty much nailed it. Just a comment on your 3rd bullet point. I am only using drip but different beans require me adjust the grind. I recently was using a batch of bean which required me grind coarser as the drip was taking too long. Usually that is more of a problem when grinding for espresso. Even the weather will require adjustment when grinding for espresso. This was the first time when grinding for coffee that I noticed a big difference.

Last edited:
we had an 80 cup percolator in the engine room of the sub that kept wired and it made some of the best coffee you ever drank... ;)
I suspect there was some "camping syndrome" at play there. :D The first time I ever ate ramen noodles was on a backpacking trip. I thought they were the best-tasting food I'd ever eaten. A few weeks later I made some at home and discovered they tasted kind of meh. Musta been the camping syndrome, lol.

I suspect there was some "camping syndrome" at play there. :D The first time I ever ate ramen noodles was on a backpacking trip. I thought they were the best-tasting food I'd ever eaten. A few weeks later I made some at home and discovered they tasted kind of meh. Musta been the camping syndrome, lol.
Like street vendor broodjes in Amsterdam after an evening out with friends…

Great info

I do not like expresso so that point is goon to know

I am looking at the OXO burr grinder

Looks decent on internet reviews
I don't trusy Amazon reviews - 15 thousand reviews? really?
I trust Gail and the folks at Seattle Coffee Gear. From the review Gail gives it is a decent grinder for drip. Not the best for French Press or Espresso. I like that it is very easy to clean as the burrs just lift out. Looks good too!

I have seen reviews that it's not good for expresso, but that's OK cause I don't like expresso. If French press is really fine grind I may not like that either.
French press grind is actually a very course grind. This grinders sweet spot is in the middle range where drip and pour over reside.

Last edited:
I recently bought this one Gevi it is very nice not just because of the price. I have had several over the years and this one has very sharp burrs on the grinder and ticks all the afor mentioned items.