Old Drill Press Identification/Recommendation

Dan Anner

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here but seeing that the community is alive I figured I would give this a shot. A little back story about me, I've been wood working and machining for the past 8-10 years with most of my experience being in wood working. I just bought a new house and built a new shed and one of the tools I want to fit and acquire is a reliable hardy drill press.

I have a seller that is looking for $150 for what I believe is a Continental Industries Heavy Duty Drill Press model number MD-100F. I was trying to find some more information/parts but I cannot seem to source this drill press on the internet. I have attached pictures, and basically I am looking for recommendations if you think this is a good press as well as if the price is decent. Also if you know of parts that work for/where I can find OEM parts for this press that would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• drillpress4.PNG
    drillpress4.PNG
    577.5 KB · Views: 26
  • drillpress3.PNG
    drillpress3.PNG
    606.1 KB · Views: 26
  • drillpress2.PNG
    drillpress2.PNG
    505.9 KB · Views: 27
  • drillpress1.PNG
    drillpress1.PNG
    305.3 KB · Views: 23
I think that may be the same press I have, will check later tonight. It was my dad's and has been a very reliable press, though he did upgrade the 3/4 hp motor to 1 hp many years ago.

One of our other members had or has a smaller one from the same branding

General consensus is that they're one of the ubiquitous Asian drill presses from the 70-80s. Finding parts is sort of a replaced on demand after careful measuring thing, a lot of the Asian clone machines are still made to similar specs and the bearings, etc (most common parts) are pretty standard especially in machines like this that aren't to old and weird.

Hypothesis on origin tentatively supported by this doc which associates the brand with a Chicago/chih chuen drill press, so basically some of the earlier better harbor freight class machine. Note that I'm not suggesting the manual is worth anywhere near what the seller is asking because I'm betting you could download many modern manuals and be just as accurate, just including it for reference.

As to whether it's worth $150, it's hard to tell over the internet. It was probably a decent enough machine in it's day so largely that depends on the condition. If the quill is tight, motor runs good, chuck is in decent shape then probably yes. If not... depends on what's wrong and how comfortable you'd be trying to fix it.

Check the runout on the quill - bearing wear, etc.
Also, is there a quill depth-of-cut mechanism on it? There doesn't look like there on on the side, so if there is one it's probably a thumb-screw apparatus on the handle side. Not essential, but they sure come in handy.
If the quill and chuck are okay, then it's probably worth the asking price (but I'd offer a bit less to see if I could get a bargain on it. :)

I had one just like it called a Mark IV or something, from Harbor Freight, I believe. I had it for many years and it served me well. Not by any means a great drill press, but it drilled and I used it a lot. I love the depth setting on my. Wish I that setup on my Jet I now have. I hate the running the two sloppy nuts up and down that stupid slopppy bolt thingy to set the depth of quill travel.......

Welcome Dan. I have the same drill press. Built like a tank. I was never able to find much information either. I remember reading that this same drill press was sold under many different brand names. Seems like hardware stores were able to order them with whatever name they wanted attached to them and sold them as they’re “brand”. Good solid drill press. Should last a very long time. I tore mine down and cleaned, lubed and repainted. I’m sure it will still be running long after I’m gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caught some pics of mine this morning. It's labeled "Guardian Power Products", Model FDM-58-12S, MT2 taper, 5/8" arbor, was originally 3/4HP.
Mine at least has the dial stop on the quill handle.

2020-01-28 07.45.02.jpg Screenshot 2020-01-28 11.09.53.png

Wow, I am overwhelmed with how welcoming everyone is. Thank you everyone..

Also, thanks to everyone for the great information. I am going to go see it in person and the person said $100 is fair for him. If everything works well, and I like how it runs then I am probably going to buy it.

@Dan Anner, Good luck on the purchase. Keep in mind if you hear a thump, thump when it starts up, it's probably just an old belt. I swapped mine to the link belts and they are much quieter. I also added some sound damping foam to the top belt cover to quiet the rattle (dynamat I think). :wave:

Keep in mind if you hear a thump, thump when it starts up,

Heh, good point Darren. Knowing what's not a fatal issue is sometimes just as tricky as knowing what is :)

Good luck and let us know how the purchase turns out. At $100 I'd be pretty sorely tempted even if it needed a smidge of work (and I didn't already have two drill presses :rolleyes:).

I sold mine because I thought I need a nicer one, so I purchased a Jet 17". The chuck on it closes all the way for the tiny bits. I sorta miss the old one, but the really big mistake I made was I the old one for $50. The guy that bought it could not get it loaded fast enough, loaded it right into a nice mini-van, on nice upholstery and all. Bet his wife was none too happy when he got home...:LOL: