Old Powermatic Tablesaw

Thanks for the answers, it will most likely end up at my son's place since my old craftsman does everything I need it to, but we will definitely pursue it. He's just getting into wood working, finishing a pole barn barn (put the last four trusses on the lean to today) that will be partially enclosed for a shop. He's just a few miles away, so I'll have access to it.

The VFD would be a very workable solution, but you could put a 3 HP single phase on it and still have plenty of power. If the saw is at all salvageable that will be a really great deal.

I've never found my 3hp (single phase) cabinet saw to be lacking in power.

BTW, depending on which motor you get, there may be some welding required to make a mounting bracket. You'll also have to rework (extensively) the magnetic starter to adapt it to the new motor.

My ts is a barn recovered Craftsman. I replaced the wiring and switch, added a 3 hp/220V motor from Harbor Freight and a link belt. After cleaning and TLC it is a very fine machine. 3 hp is a lot, personally I wouldn't benefit from more power. Love the link belt, makes the whole thing run smoother and much quieter.

A Unisaw? If you replace the motor 3 HP is more than you will ever need for a home shop. Add a power feeder and thousands of board feet of lumber to cut, and the 5 hp might be needed, but only if high production rates are needed.

Now I've got to ask about the fence. Is there a fence with it? Is it a Unifence? Biesmeier fences are OK, but I love my 52" Unifence.

Charley

My SawStop has a 3 HP single-phase, 230-volt TEFC Motor, when I speced the saw out I was thinking which to get, the 3hp or the 5hp and I decided that with my 40 amp sub panel (all I could get) I was better off with the 3hp. I have never come close to stalling or even slowing that saw. I have cut good Canadian hard maple at full depth of cut with it and with a sharp blade it was fine.
I hope you get the saw, I bet it will be well worth the effort.
Cheers

The motor mount on a Unisaw is special. Using a motor other than one with this special mount is going to be a significant problem.
I would rather find the right motor than butcher the mount on a Unisaw, if for no other reason than to make it easier to adjust, service, and replace the motor in the future.

Charley

What they said above: the Uni doesn't take just any motor. You need one with the special bracketing they used...or some kind of workaround. Seems like someone offers a commercially made version of an adapter if memory serves (which is always suspect).

Last edited:
The motor mount on a Unisaw is special. Using a motor other than one with this special mount is going to be a significant problem.
I would rather find the right motor than butcher the mount on a Unisaw, if for no other reason than to make it easier to adjust, service, and replace the motor in the future.

Charley
+1 on what he said.

Is the oem motor enclosed? I have plenty of three phase motors on outdoor equipment with shafts pointing straight up. Don't give up on it. The vfd is a good option. I also have run a rotary 3 phase converter for years. You get used to it. But the vfd is the better option. Get the local supply house to match the motor and build your own box if needed.