Old Zenith

william watts

Radio dial. Introducing my new avatar, just arrived from the mid 20th century, and now appearing here for the first time :). There was a time this was the www, but things change and sometimes they get better. I have a small collection of old radios that we display around the house.When the kids ask what they are I enjoy explaining how they work and what the dials are for. I haven't add to the collection for years.

Bill

Me too Dave.

Bill, we had a large Zenith floor model. It had the first record changer that I had ever seen. For that era the tone quality was excellent. It would really be a conversation piece today.

Ah the good times that radio inspired: Little Orphan Annie, The Green Hornet, Ma Perkins, The Standard Symphony Hour, The Peter Potter Platter Parade, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Bing Crosby, The Shadow and a bazillion other programs over the years. I don't know how long the set lasted, before my dad gutted it for the cabinet, however the set was in daily use for many years after the end of WWII.

Enjoy it,
JimB

Nice! :thumb: Would love to see more pics of the collection Bill. I can remember a few like that at my grandparents house.

This is the bottom of the line Hellicrafters shortwave/ham receiver from the 50's. friend had one and we were able to here the Russian Sputnik! We could hear the " beep-beep" and the Doppler shift as it passed from horizon to horizon.

View attachment 93953

This is a curious radio made by Zenith in the 60's. This could have been an answer the to Sony Walkman. The radio hangs from a loop of wire worn around your neck the wire acts as the antenna, and there is an "ear bud". These were Christmas gifts from the sales rep to his dealers and employes (me).

image.jpg

There are a few more, these are not the oldest, these are the coolest. Thanks for asking, it's a joy to share the old things.

Bill

Last edited:
This is the bottom of the line Hellicrafters shortwave/ham receiver from the 50's. friend had one and we were able to here the Russian Sputnik! We could hear the " beep-beep" and the Doppler shift as it passed from horizon to horizon.

View attachment 93953

This is a curious radio made by Zenith in the 60's. This could have been an answer the to Sony Walkman. The radio hangs from a loop of wire worn around your neck the wire acts as the antenna, and there is an "ear bud". These were Christmas gifts from the sales rep to his dealers and employes (me).

View attachment 93955
Bill

Thanks for asking, it's a joy to share the old things.

Bill

Thanks for sharing Bill. Though very exciting to hear something from space, I bet it was a bit scary to think about also. That little Zenith was incredibly small for the time wasn't it?

Thanks for sharing Bill. Though very exciting to hear something from space, I bet it was a bit scary to think about also. That little Zenith was incredibly small for the time wasn't it?

Exciting, yes, scary not so much. More amazement at the technology the Russians demonstrated. There was "duck and cover " practice in our school system. That was scary.

I had forgotten how small that little radio was until I got it out to take the photo. Sorry for the goofy links to the pictures, The only excuse I have is I am using my wife's iPad, since I spilled coffee on my Mac lap top. A friend says he can fix it, we'll see.

Bill

Last edited: