Older Delta Unisaw

I have an older (kind of a relative term) Delta Unisaw that was my dad's. He probably got it around 1990 but I have no idea when it was built. It has that little on/off switch tucked neatly almost out of reach (certainly out of sight) down under the table top. I find it very hard to use as I have to bend down putting my face way too close to the work to turn the darn thing on and off. Is there a manufacturers alternative switch or does anyone have an idea for rerouting the switch to a different location. I feel like the switch, if located under the front left corner would be more convenient for me.

Any ideas?

Alan

Remounting it would be fairly easy if your comfortable with a little electrical work. The Unisaw I had (circa 2001) did move the switch to the fence rail, but it was on the right side, located at about the edge of the cabinet. The saw I have now has it where you want it and i like that a lot better. I would get a switch like this, then cobble up a rail to mount it on. The existing wires may not be long enough, so you might have to replace so part of that.

Much like Larry's setup, I have my switch mounted under the rail. It's positioned to where I can turn off the saw with my left thigh when I'm standing just to the left of the blade. (My standard position, out of the line of fire.) I like being able to shut down the saw hands-free if necessary.

I have a little Delta contractor's saw... not that I use it much, it's mostly a catchall table for work on the lathe, but the switch in on the front, easily accessible, but the wiring and contact are all inside the cabinet where it fills with sawdust.... I got tired of turning the saw upside down to reach the switch inside and clean it... last time it stopped, it was in the "ON" position, so now I just plug it into a switchable power strip that requires me to step away from the saw to operate the switch... don't like it that way, but since I use it so seldom, works for me.

My setup is similar to Larry's, but I also have a 'flapper' that's hinged from the top and hangs down below the switch box. It has a block glued to the back of it that contacts the "OFF" button, and a hole drilled thru it to access the "ON" button. A light touch with my leg will turn the saw off, without having to take my hands (or eyes) off the workpiece.

I think I'll go with the flapper switch under the left hand side corner. I didn't get out to the shop today to see what I'll need to do that. I considered the on/off switch but decided I rather have a one shot "off" button.

I'm not sure why the design for that saw put the switch directly in the line of fire and way down under the table...

I may also just wire the new switch directly from the existing switch and make a cover for the existing switch. The reason for that is my 1 1/2 year old grandson. He loves to go into the shop with me and look around. I can usually give him a hammer and he is content to beat on the floor, but, he sure likes those red and green buttons that are just about his height and he KNOWS they do something. I normally go around unplugging everything when I take him in there, but he's pretty dern quick! He hasn't touched them yet. So far my hovering presence and a continual string of "No No" has worked, but after raising three boys I know that only goes so far....

If I cover the switch I can then turn it off until I am ready to use the saw (at which time he won't be in there) and then I can turn it on and use the new switch. My router table is already set up like that.

Thanks again for the help.

Alan

Chuck, there is NO WAY that I would use a table saw that required me to step away to turn it off. I have experienced several situations when getting to my saw off switch as quickly as possible was absolutely necessary. Please FIX THE SWITCH and seal the openings to keep the sawdust out of it. Tape and silicone bathtub sealer worked on my son's 34-444 Delta Contractor Saw. Power strips aren't rated to handle the inductive currents of a table saw motor, and that switch is going to fail with continued use as well. It's only a matter of time before that saw is going to get you if you don't fix it. Please don't become a statistic. We need you here.

Charley