OOOOOOld skid steer

Bart Leetch

My Dad's 56 year old Bobcat 1963 whch I've affectionately renamed Robert Kitty started for another spring. I did replace the cables that were on it I think it came that way & Dad never changed them al-tho he did overhaul it mone than once from 1972 until 20013. It had the top pole clamp style with the stud that the cable end went on & a wing nut fastened it in place. That was one more joint that it didn't need. With the new cables it gets full current to the starter every time. Now to hook up the backhoe & switch the valve & find the hydraulic leak under the floor plates. Oh my the fun with antique machinery. Poor thing was rusty from lack of paint & now is worse because I can only cover it with a tarp.

I almost posted this in Old iron even though it is off topic.

Attachments

• B&A1.jpg
    B&A1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 52
  • B&A2.jpg
    B&A2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 107_0963.jpg
    107_0963.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 58
That's quite the beast, cool that your dad kept it running that long and you've kept on it.

I think it technically fits here since you could use it for hauling logs ;)

Old Bob was my replacement when & left home Dads 3rd & 4th hand. To think Old Bob was only 9 years old when Dad got him. Initial cost for Bob with 2 front buckets & an un-sprung trailer in 1972 was ......$750 Then for between $1-200 a set of forks & later a backhoe $750. As far as I know Dad overhauled to original 16 Hp. motor 2 times the 2nd time with a newer crank shaft The third time he was given a fairly new Onan motor out of a motor home they had to change the cam shaft if I remember right it was set up for a gen set & the timing had to be different. I thing it has around 75 hrs on the rebuild. I hope to go through the wiring & clean it up & paint it.