Now I see it.
I've also watched the video and it seems that the pipes are made of MDF or chip board. Is that so?

Yes Toni his are, and John has built them from MDF but you need to do a lot of sealing with that type of material. I'm not sure if you can get Baltic Birch there in Spain but if you can I found it to work Great and a lot easier to seal than MDF I use 3mm Baltic for pipes. You can also cut 1/8" stock from things like pine, Maple (hard or soft should work) poplar beach or what ever is available to you there you can build the body of the pipe from almost anything but the face (part use for voicing) should be made from a hardwood of some type (I have used walnut, Bubinga and hard maple or the Baltic Birch.

What kinds of material do you have available to you? Just curious.

Jay

What kinds of material do you have available to you? Just curious.

Jay
Well, Jay.
At my usual lumber store I can have walnut, hard maple, cedar, basswood, bubinga, mongoy, teak, wenge, oak, beech, iroko and some other that I don't remember, but if you mix woods it will affect the sound won't it?

Well, Jay.
At my usual lumber store I can have walnut, hard maple, cedar, basswood, bubinga, mongoy, teak, wenge, oak, beech, iroko and some other that I don't remember, but if you mix woods it will affect the sound won't it?

Toni I would use all the same kind of material for the pipes but that being said I make my Bass pipes from Baltic Birch (because of the size) and everything else from Hard Maple or pine or Baltic. One of the woods you said is Basswood and that should work GREAT. I think Peter used it on his organ and he seem to like it I believe. He will let us know when he sees this post.

Oak would be the worst as it is to open grained but it will work if thats all you have.

Jay

Toni I would use all the same kind of material for the pipes but that being said I make my Bass pipes from Baltic Birch (because of the size) and everything else from Hard Maple or pine or Baltic. One of the woods you said is Basswood and that should work GREAT. I think Peter used it on his organ and he seem to like it I believe. He will let us know when he sees this post.

Oak would be the worst as it is to open grained but it will work if thats all you have.

Jay
Well, I've got some board feet of basswood as I use it for carving, besides it is not as expensive as maple. So I may use that when I try building one.

My plans (all 30+ pages) also arrived yesterday (from Peter Hood). I also got a roll of music (gonna be a while before that's heard!) and the "kit of essential parts" which is convenient but I probably wouldn't do it again.

Attachments

• DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 70
Organ Build

Well I just read the instructions for the Organ and it appears that instead of building the Senior 20 that I requested, I will be making the Busker I don't know what the difference is other than the size, but that is what I was dealt so I guess it was meant to be. It will be fun just the same. Come on Toni and join in the fun.
Chuck

Well I just read the instructions for the Organ and it appears that instead of building the Senior 20 that I requested, I will be making the Busker I don't know what the difference is other than the size, but that is what I was dealt so I guess it was meant to be. It will be fun just the same. Come on Toni and join in the fun.
Chuck

Charles did you order from John or Rollcutter If you still have a copy of your email I sure they will take care of the problem. John is a very up front Man.

The deferents is in the size of the organ the pipes are smaller and everything is more compact still a very worth while project and a lot of the things in the Senior are the same. Pipes are built the same way just mounted different as I see.

There are several pictures up of Busker builds and as I find them I will post link if you want, best place is to start looking over Melvyn Wrights site look for a builder hints posted by Ed Gaida he had a good document of his build of the Busker There is another but cant remember his name right now will search for it later.

Jay

Organ Build

Jay I ordered from John, It isn't a big deal. I will Build what I got the plans for and see how it goes. I just thought a little bigger organ would give me more wiggle room for my big paws to get in there and tinker around. It will work out and I am not complaining.
Chuck

Come on Toni and join in the fun.
Chuck

Well Charles, I must admit that I will be joining the fun but not so soon, I've got a dresser to make but I may sneak and organ piece from time to time.

In fact I ordered the Senior 20 plans from John today:). Another thing is if I will ever start or finish it:(

Jay I ordered from John, It isn't a big deal. I will Build what I got the plans for and see how it goes. I just thought a little bigger organ would give me more wiggle room for my big paws to get in there and tinker around. It will work out and I am not complaining.
Chuck

Thats Cool Chuck just take lots of picture and if you get stuck I'm sure we can help you out with no problems.

Going to start looking for a tubing an Bellows cloth supplier as the one I had been buying from closed after the owner passed away. For those of you that are building don't worry as I have enough cloth for everyone if we cant find a new source right away and I will share. :D

The best place to start is the Pipes so we have some time.

Jay

Chuck
Hello Charles, Certainly ,I would go back to John ,and I am sure he will make things right
over your Plans. Still think it would be best if all the Group were singing from the same Hymn Sheet.
Peter.

Hey Jay.

I just found out on John's page that he says that to build the Senior you must have purchased previously the Busker plans as you'll need them for reference.
Is that so? He didn't mention anything when I asked him about purchasing the senior 20 plans. May be that's why Charles got a Busker instead of a Senior 20.

Moreover, he states there that the Senior 20 is only available to previous Busker customers, if it is like that I'm ready to cancel my order, this sort of forcing people to buy more than what they want, really annoys me not to say other words that the COC rules don't allow me here.

Last edited:
Yes, I used Basswood for the bodies of the Pipes on my "Topsy". I do not have immediate access to a planer /thicknesser so I bought finished sheets.
The fronts were made from seasoned Pear. The Pipes have turned out very well indeed and are all glued/sealed with ordinary P.V.A. glue(got it right this time!) Word was that Mr. Raffin was asked some years ago what made his pipes so special and he said he used"fruit-wood" on the fronts. Pear wood was my attempt to improve tonality Peter.

What really makes the different is the build up and care of sealing the pipe you always want to us a hardwood for the front lips as it will not be as affected by moisture as much as softwood and will hold the sharp edge better.
Hope that makes since!!

I think Alan Pell just said that because his pipes sound so sweet :D and he didn't want to give away any secrets:rofl:

Jay