Thanks guys. I'll try the simple hose in the pipe method and see what happens.

I built 9 pipes today. My wife smiles because she can hear me in the shop tooting on pipes. It is like having children all over again. OK, well, not really -- but it is really fun to create something that makes a sound.

I enjoyed making the pipes. It's a good thing because I may have to remake one or two. One doesn't no play on the test roll, but if I just tape off all the other holes and crank, without the test roll it plays, although a little weak. :huh: The holes on the paper and the tracker bar line up nicely. I'm wondering if it is not getting enough air, or is leaking somewhere. Going to finish the case before I go back and worry it, I am so close!!!

I enjoyed making the pipes. It's a good thing because I may have to remake one or two. One doesn't no play on the test roll, but if I just tape off all the other holes and crank, without the test roll it plays, although a little weak. :huh: The holes on the paper and the tracker bar line up nicely. I'm wondering if it is not getting enough air, or is leaking somewhere. Going to finish the case before I go back and worry it, I am so close!!!

Paul did you seal the inside of the pipes??

I got this note from Craig Smith from the COAA forum today and it has a great tip I want to pass along to you folks. This may help with your problem Paul.:thumb:

pipe cleaner-1.jpg

Jay,
After some problems I was finally able to look at this web site from the main page. The organ building section is really well hidden and the second URL you sent didn't work.
I read a few of the comments and I noticed your last reply about a pipe that didn't work. You mentioned clearing out the airway. Here's a little piece you can make from a soda can. It does a neat job of hooking out pieces of what I call 'pipe poop'.
Craig
Let me know if you (they) have other problems. I've helped over 200 people build a Castlewood organ, so I've seen a lot of different problems.
BTW - the most common problem with stoppered organ pipes is a small leak. Even a pinhole will mess them up.

Thanks Jay,,,,and Craig for the input. I will make me a little pipe cleaning tool and see if it helps. I am making the top, then I add the front, which is already built and I'm done. I'm going to try barrel hinges on the top so they will be hidden. The front will be too heavy for barrel hinges, so I will use something else.

A good sign, I gave my wife a look with me holding the front in place and she said WOW. I like to hear WOW from her, it t'aint easy to get out of her.

Thanks Jay,,,,and Craig for the input. I will make me a little pipe cleaning tool and see if it helps. I am making the top, then I add the front, which is already built and I'm done. I'm going to try barrel hinges on the top so they will be hidden. The front will be too heavy for barrel hinges, so I will use something else.

A good sign, I gave my wife a look with me holding the front in place and she said WOW. I like to hear WOW from her, it t'aint easy to get out of her.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks, course I still have a cart to build. Been looking for some old baby buggy wheels, but all I find are proving to be more than I am willing to spend.

Speaking of spending, I ordered another music roll from Mel. Wanted one with some childrens song, yep included "It's A Small World", and the "Birthday Song", hoping to play at my Grandson's Birthday the end of the month. It ended up being $78 American! Unless I can come up with some cheaper way my music will be very limited. I bet the rolls for an Universal would be even more...

Thanks, course I still have a cart to build. Been looking for some old baby buggy wheels, but all I find are proving to be more than I am willing to spend.

Speaking of spending, I ordered another music roll from Mel. Wanted one with some childrens song, yep included "It's A Small World", and the "Birthday Song", hoping to play at my Grandson's Birthday the end of the month. It ended up being $78 American! Unless I can come up with some cheaper way my music will be very limited. I bet the rolls for an Universal would be even more...

Actually no Paul they will run close to the same but you have a lot more places to buy them from and a lot larger selection and sometimes can even find used rolls.

Picture Update

Just thought I'd post some pictures of what my organ looks like. The front door is not attached, nor the top. I'm waiting on hinges to arrive. You guessed it, it is RED! It is bright!

Attachments

• IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 28
Thanks, John. I ended up sanding a lot of it down and repainting with Rustoleum. Rustoleum Apple Red is the same as Valspar's Cherry Red, well so close no one has been able to tell the difference. I didn't worry about the insides where it won't be touched. I notice it is finally drying. Valspar admitted there was a problem with that batch of paint and is refunding my money. I think they need to check other batches...

Thanks for the comments. I figured you all thought it was soooo ugly you were not going to comment! :eek: Video:eek: Humm, I kinda like to have my tuning checked first. I really can't tell for sure how it sounds. Course it sounds good to me, but it sounded good to me when I was just blowing on the pipes. I still have an iffy D#. I took it out, cleaned it out, put another coat of varnish on it and that didn't seen to improve it. I'm going to put in a new stopper, see what that does. Not sure how you voice them once the lips are glued on. Suggestion on how that is done would be appreciated. I suppose the tracker could have a leak in that cell? Seems like that would impact the ones next to it also.

I have to get my nephew out with his camera. Get a video made and stand back for the applause :rofl: