Origin Shaper vs Flatbed CNC Machines

Bill Satko

I recently started following a extremely talented artist and woodworker on YouTube, Michael Alm. I highly recommend this Seattle based YouTuber. One of his episodes he demonstrated the Origin Shaper. I had a vague knowledge of it's existence but no idea of how it worked. It appears to me to have many advantages for someone with a small shop over your traditional CNC machine. I would like to know what those of you with a traditional setup think of it. One of the biggest advantages I see is you are bring the CNC machine to the workpiece and not the workpiece to the CNC machine.

I just want to point out that I realize it that it's z-axis depth can't be programmed into a design. But despite that limitation I still see advantages in certain applications.

I have seen a number of videos on that machine.

I did watch the first half of the demo video, but only scanned through the last half.

I have always thought it would be a nice "jobsite" tool, for a variety of things.

There are tons of serious limitations, but, as shown in the demo video there are some cool things that can be done with it.

Cost is $2500

At AVID CNC a 2' x 2' for $1975 + $150 for the lowest level of Vectric Cut 2D Desktop is FAR more of a setup, Far more

At AVID CNC a 2' x 3' for $2695 + $150 for the lowest level of Vectric Cut 2D Desktop is FAR more of a setup, Far more

There are a lot more options available, not just AVID. I have watched AVID for many years and I can say I have seen a lot of really good stuff done on AVID. Lots of people like them and they have really good customer service. Personally when I was shopping for my 2nd machine, the one I have now, I was seriously considering the AVID 4'x4' PRO series machine. It was previously called CNC Router parts. Same company, different name.

It looks nice to me, but far too limited.

Everything has limitations, and it is a personal choice.

I would not buy it, but my needs may be different than yours..

Thanks Leo! Not sure how a 2x3 setup would allow me to so the stuff he is doing at around minute 14:10. Here he is using the actual workpiece as his bed. This was something I thought I needed a larger CNC for. What steps would you need to do on a 2x3 setup to dado out a large furniture piece as he is showing using the Origin Shaper?

Bill,

No argument from me there. I love CNC dados and rabits. Agreeable - on a 2x3 machine - no you are not going to do that.

On a 2x3 machine - yes you could do these

IMG_20211229_142408869[1].jpgIMG_20211229_142350736[1].jpg

I don't think you could do that with the Origin.

It's always a trade off somewhere.

With CNC, the beauty is in the versatility and possibilities.

Dado's - good dados - are not all that hard to do with non-CNC.
I made an adjustable dado jig that I made tons of dados with.

Now I do it on CNC, because I have a larger machine, but there is nothing wrong with the jig either.
I had a 2x2 machine that I made a 24 x 96 sign that I sold for a couple of thousand dollars.

I have no intention of dogging that really nice Origin machine.
I really do see the possibilities, but I also see the limitations.

It's a trade off, and I am just posting my ?humble? thoughts, nothing more than that.

I am quite active on the Vectric forum and I see hundreds of posters. There is a W I D E variety of people, male and female, as well as a very wide variety of machines and a wide variety of skill levels. A am around the middle to a little upper on the skills.

Some of the people buy CNC and cannot get off the ground. Some take to flying right away. Some stay on simple dimple things. Some get VERY creative.

It's all personal. There is no right, or wrong. There is only what suits you. Maybe you have no interest is growing or expanding, but sometimes the future desires are not really known to us.

I do hope you do not see my remarks as negative. It's not meant to be negative. I just want to express my thoughts.

No worries Leo. I didn't take your comments as negative. I am looking at the Shaper as a possible tool in the fabrication of modern style furniture within an extremely small work space. Our house is of a very modern style and the furniture I will be building needs to reflect that. It will be pushing me into construction methods that are more appropriate utilizing machinery over hand tools. Not to say that hand tools will not still be utilized but the design elements will require methods with very precise joinery due to their odd angles and visual exposure. Think of a Mid-Century modern or a Scandinavian modern coffee table or desk. I would think that I could easily build full size templates for routing utilizing the Shaper. That is only touching the surface of what I could do with this.

And no offense to you, but I don't really have an interest in carving utilizing a CNC. It is just not where my interests are. I have enough rabbit holes to chase down into.

I will continue to investigate the possible of the Shaper and any other alternatives. Funny thing is I hate the noise and potential finger loping of routers, but this change in furniture design is pushing me that way. Thanks for the feedback!

Bill, I am not offended.

I say what I say because I meet a lot of folk that look at CNC in so many different ways.

By the way, I think you can print your own tape.

The machine does look to be VERY useful and functional. There are a lot of youtube videos out there.

Last edited:
Hi Bill, it seems that you’re being pulled to the dark side of the ww force ;). I do not have a CNC and I canot make a suggestion about the Origin shaper, but IMHO I’d rather go for a machine that spares me the hard and not so satisfying and heavy work of preparing the wood like a jointer or thicknesser than a computer aided router. I know that you have space restrictions and you have to have them into account, but I‘d rather enjoy more making joints by hand than squaring and surfacing a board by hand.
On top of that, I would remind you how small was Krenov’s workshop when we visited it during the tour, the size of a workshop can limit a lot the size of the projects one can make, so maybe machines on casters can ease the use of available space.