Other than Bloxygen...

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I like using Arm-R-Seal and a couple of other more expensive varnishes but I've had a problem with them curing in the can once I get to about 25% left. I am very careful never to shake the cans and I don't stir violently so not to introduce any air into the liquid. Even so it seems I find myself tossing out a little from every can - and at $25 a quart, that hurts. I've tried Bloxygen with some success and I've decanted as well. Bloxygen is expensive and decanting requires taking up a lot of additional shelf space and, usually, storing in glass which can be a danger in my shop - I can be clumsy. :rofl:

Just curious, how do you address this issue?

I've tried several gases to fill the can, including homemade CO2 and propane. Neither worked, but if you want to make some co2, put some baking soda and vinegar into a large beverage container. The gas given off as it fizzes is CO2, and because it's heavier than air, it pours out of the container like a liquid....so you can fill your finish can up with it. You can test the level of CO2 in the container by lighting a match and sticking it in there...it goes out when it hits the Co2. Of course after that it's doesn't do crap to save the finish...at least IME. Propane is also heavier than air, so just squirting some into your can presumably removes the O2. That didn't work for me either. The next thing I tried was to vaccuum the can out. When those vac bags with the built in port were available I cut the ports out and taped them to the lid of finish can, drilling several holes under the port. I then sucked the air out with the little pumps you get for them..I actually crushed one can doing this. Sadly, that didn't work either. I tried putting marbles (and gravel that was rinsed off and dried) into the can to raise the level of the finish to the rim, and then put the lid. This actually worked really well in saving the finish, but it's a bit of pain separating the 2. So now I'm at what I'm currently doing. I use Stop Loss bags. These work really well, though they are also a minor pain to use. But I've got 3 right now filled with 3 types of varnish, one of them is dated 10/21/18 and the finish in there is still good.

I use Stop Loss bags. These work really well, though they are also a minor pain to use. But I've got 3 right now filled with 3 types of varnish, one of them is dated 10/21/18 and the finish in there is still good.
I have never seen these before! Looks like a very good solution and 4 reusable bags costs about the same as one can of Bloxygen. I think I might give these a try! Thanks Fred!