The stairs to our cabin have bugged me since we bought the place so they are next on the list. Hand rails are in bad shape, stair treads aren't level and the landings aren't level. So it is all coming out down to the main supports.
To be honest the landings and the lower stairs were solid. The handrail was in bad shape, pictures were after I started removal of the handrail. The upper stringers were cobbled in, someone tried to use precut stringers and couldn't get them fit right. The other problem was the upper landing was 4'-6 wide and the lower landing was 4'-0 wide. They tried to deal with the offset with the upper stairs and the jog in the handrail was a cluster ----.
Here are pictures of today's progress. Didn't get much done, got nailed by a hornet and had to deal with them, nest was under the lower platform. As with anything up here closest hornet spray was 30 miles away.
Tomorrow is a trip to the lumber yard (yea). Heat got me today, didn't have the energy to clean up.
Noted the lack of treated lumber the other day when I needed one plank for a project. Racks were empty.
Figured the government stimulus money, and stay and home quarantine was pushing deck building to the forefront.
Yep got hit by wasp the other checking for roof replacement. My wasp spray was just 3 miles away, but I got those buggers and smushed the next.
Had a layout snafu and the top & bottom platform didn't come together as I intended. Had to go back and pick up additional material yesterday and rebuild the top platform. Got it completed along with the upper & lower stair stringers. Got enough of the decking done to make them usable. Still need to cut the tapered deck boards and the risers to complete the decking. Should finish decking tomorrow. Waiting on post to come in for the handrail. Happy with the stairs & platform, they came out very solid.
Finally have the post, rails and spindles for the railing. Bought a new tool for making the tenons on the rails, I'll test it on to get it set for the right size tenon. This is going to be an interesting project since I have never built railings before, much less this type raining. Since my last post I've gone back in at the post location and installed blocking to reinforce the post, also removed the deck boards that were ripped and rounded over the edges so it all looks uniform. Hopefully by the end of next week the rails are completed.