Overlay Question

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've made new doors for this cabinet the exact size of those already in use. Now I am about to buy new hardware. Question: these appear to be full overlay 3/4". It seems euro hardware mounting plates come in various sizes to accomodate amount of overlay. In my case, I think, I would use the 0 mm plate which takes advantage of the full 3/4' overlay capability of the hinge. Presumably the 1.5mm plate would be used for a 5'8" overlay and the 3mm plate for the 1/2" overlay.

I can't get to the cabinet as I can't travel to the customer's home right now. Do you think my assumption is correct? Full 3/4" overlay?

unnamed 2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

image007.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

rennie, have the customer take one door off and remove hinges to get your measurement, have him lay a ruler next to it for good measurement
or you can call woodworker hardware and ask your question
I have the door here in my shop with the hinge attached (minus the mounting plate). So I know that the hinge is capable of a full 3/4" overlay. It's the offset of the mounting plate I was most curious about. I called WWHardware and that is where I got the info regarding the 0 mm vs. 1.5 mm vs 3 mm info. I was just trying to get another opinion as I was only 90% sure I was right.

Obviously, great minds think alike. :thumb:

They sure look like 3/4" overlay. Easy way for the customer to measure. Open the cabinet door. Slide a tape measure between the door and the cabinet wall. Hook the tape measure on the inside edge of the cabinet .. on the hinge side. Close the cabinet door over the tape measure and take the measurement to the door edge. Should read 3/4" if this is the true overlay.

I have seen commercial melamine covered cabinets in 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". I would guess 3/4" from the pic but, 5/8" plus the melamine can be visually confusing. I agree a picture from the customer with a ruler held up to the edge would give you solid data.

Since the hinges are the same for 3/4, 5/8 or 1/2 and only the mounting plate changes I went ahead and ordered the hinges and mounting plates for 3/4. If it turns out that the overlay is actually 5/8 it's no big deal. The plates are only $.80 each and I only need 8.

This is my experience with Blum hardware.

5/8 overlay is the max you can achieve without rubbing on a 110º hinge, that's with a zero millimeter plate.
A 110º+ hinge gets you to 11/16" with a zero millimeter plate.

For us, anything greater than that 11/16" overlay requires switching to an expensive 155º hinge, with which you can achieve a 1-3/8" overlay with a zero millimeter plate.

Usually with euro, you run 11/16" overlay leaving a 1/16 reveal so when two boxes are put together, you have an 1/8" margin.

This is my experience with Blum hardware.

5/8 overlay is the max you can achieve without rubbing on a 110º hinge, that's with a zero millimeter plate.
A 110º+ hinge gets you to 11/16" with a zero millimeter plate.

For us, anything greater than that 11/16" overlay requires switching to an expensive 155º hinge, with which you can achieve a 1-3/8" overlay with a zero millimeter plate.

Usually with euro, you run 11/16" overlay leaving a 1/16 reveal so when two boxes are put together, you have an 1/8" margin.
Wow. Good info. I may order the 1.5 mm plates as a back up.