painted sign for a customer

Dan Noren

Staff member
making a series of signs for a customer who saw the sign i made for my cousin's husband. after a bit of talking, we agreed on the basic size, and that she wanted the boards painted a dark brown before vcarving the text. we agreed on maple, as it will show up the best after the vcarving. what will be carved, are five signs, that will have each of the lyrics from the song wonderful world, by louis armstrong. they will be 11 high, by 16 wide, with the fifth being a circle, with the last line "oh yeah", along with his autograph below. she has given me a free hand with the font for the signs, but, she wanted an elegant script for the circle. this whole thing is going to be a wall hanging, as a birthday present for her husband, and it is his favorite song. not a bad way to finish up this shop season.

Attachments

• 001 boards ready for recutting.JPG
    001 boards ready for recutting.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 002 first ones glued up and in clamps.JPG
    002 first ones glued up and in clamps.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 second ones cut and glued up.JPG
    003 second ones cut and glued up.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 24
sanded the sign blanks, and marked, and taped them. then 2 coats of the brown paint. vcarving them starts tomorrow.

Attachments

• 004 sanded and taped.JPG
    004 sanded and taped.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 005 all signs painted.jpg
    005 all signs painted.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
found out that 3 out of the 5 blanks i made had cupped after i had painted them. i'm going to remake 2 of them, and try to salvage the not too badly cupped one for the circle. but, i managed to get the first 2 verses out in spite of that set back.

Attachments

• 006 start of carving.JPG
    006 start of carving.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 007 verse one done.JPG
    007 verse one done.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 008 verse 2 done.jpg
    008 verse 2 done.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 40
got the replacement blanks glued up last night. going to paint both sides this morning, and cutting them this afternoon.

Attachments

• 009 replacement blanks glued up.JPG
    009 replacement blanks glued up.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 13
got the new blanks painted, and ready to go. got all of the blanks carved, and the circle cut. the last one needs to be trimmed to size, and there will be painting, and touchup painting to be done. i laid them out to see what the finished hanging would look like, and it looks pretty good. sent a pic of the layout to my customer, and she just said one word, "awsome!".

Attachments

• 010 third verse done.JPG
    010 third verse done.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 011 fourth verse done.JPG
    011 fourth verse done.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 012 finishing engraving on last one.JPG
    012 finishing engraving on last one.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 013 last blank circle cut.JPG
    013 last blank circle cut.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 014 test set up as she wants it to be.jpg
    014 test set up as she wants it to be.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
she picked them up today, and she was very happy with them. her husband was very happy with them. benjamin and his brother ben are visiting my pocket, and i am very happy. :D