Pantry Overflow Shelves

Ted Calver

Staff member
Nothing fancy, but I made some sawdust. :woot: The missus was having a bit of trouble accessing her spice collection and we needed some more storage room for canned goods so I cobbled together this set of shelves to handle the overflow. They are located at the landing of the stairs heading to our room over the garage and are hidden most of the time and right next to our pantry, so are still very handy.
Painted poplar frame (dado plus dominoes) and hardboard back. One fixed shelf and several adjustable shelves on shelf pins. Roughly 40" x 65" x 5.5" deep. Screwed to joist at the top to prevent tipping.
IMG_3803.jpeg,
IMG_3808.jpeg,
IMG_3805.jpeg,
IMG_3813.jpeg.

Also rediscovered one of the benefits of having the shop in the garage.... a well stocked fridge. Pickled eggs and pickled sausage!:headbang:
IMG_3792.jpeg.

The missus was having a bit of trouble accessing her spice collection

Might i suggest a series of tubes? We've moved all of our "active" use spices into 1"x6" test tubes labeled on the top I printed the labels on some printer paper, covered with packing tape to seal, punched them out with a round punch, then glued them to the top of the corks with some hot hide glue after several abortive attempts with the "self stick round printer labels".

The through the back domino's is a good trick. I like that one (y)

Good use of the space!

The sausages look tasty.

Might i suggest a series of tubes? ...The sausages look tasty.
Tubes sound like a good idea for active spices. How do you store them? The spices on this new shelf are the bulk spices used to recharge the smaller glass daily user shakers she uses that are stored on the pantry door. The bulk spices were on the top shelf of the main pantry and the missus needed a step stool to get them. I didn't want her climbing anymore, so I decided to move them within easy reach.

I put up the sausages on Sep 28th and they are supposed to sit in the fridge for at least ten days before sampling. Today I cheated and ate a couple. They are awesome! I used fully cooked 100% pork Andouille with a few Lil' Smokies thrown in to max out the jar. Next time I'll try just plain hot dogs to see what they taste like.

I put up the sausages on Sep 28th and they are supposed to sit in the fridge for at least ten days before sampling. Today I cheated and ate a couple. They are awesome! I used fully cooked 100% pork Andouille with a few Lil' Smokies thrown in to max out the jar. Next time I'll try just plain hot dogs to see what they taste like.
so are ya gonna keep the recipe a secret or are ya willing to share.

Might i suggest a series of tubes? We've moved all of our "active" use spices into 1"x6" test tubes labeled on the top I printed the labels on some printer paper, covered with packing tape to seal, punched them out with a round punch, then glued them to the top of the corks with some hot hide glue after several abortive attempts with the "self stick round printer labels".

Do you use a test tube rack to hold them?

Tubes sound like a good idea for active spices. How do you store them?

Weeellll... we've been just using a cheap plastic test tube holder (well two cheap test tube holders) which are essentially a plastic flat stand with a bunch of fingers the test tubes stick down inbetween. I've been talking about building a slanted holder so they'd slide in at about a 45d angle and you could easily see the labels and I could mount it up under the cabinet to take up less counter space and.. well. I haven't gotten that done yet.

The ones we're using are 1" test tubes (loml says 25x200mm to close enough( .. I wouldn't go much smaller I don't think. That let us fir about 60 spices into a 12" by 8" space though.

What we're currently using looks a lot like this one, although it's not the most attractive (I was for sure going to remedy that some years ago and certainly will very shortly I'm sure.. :rolleyes: )

1602023267837.png

The spices on this new shelf are the bulk spices used to recharge the smaller glass daily user shakers she uses that are stored on the pantry door. The bulk spices were on the top shelf of the main pantry and the missus needed a step stool to get them. I didn't want her climbing anymore, so I decided to move them within easy reach.

We mostly double package those (into zipper bags or vacuum seal then into tight lidded plastic bins) and freeze. Double packaging them keeps the moisture out and they tend to last a bit longer frozen (with the moisture caveat). That takes some freezer space though.

the shelf pin holes line up, the rest is whipped cream with a cherry on top.(at least thats how I view any project with shelf pin holes)......looks like a perfect solution and perfect fit.
My last set of shelves were off level by a fat eighth within a square cabinet and I had to add cork pads to all the pins on one side to make the shelves level. I used a tip from a woodworking magazine and drilled the holes using a pegboard template and must have aligned it wrong. :doh:

For these shelves I used this older style Woodpeckers shelf pin jig and the holes came out perfect. It was a bit fussy to set up because the end blocks were designed for 3/4" stock and mine was thicker, but some 3/4" blocks fixed the problem. If I had a bunch of these to make I'd probably spring for one of the many newer jigs on the market that look easier to use.

so are ya gonna keep the recipe a secret or are ya willing to share.
Don, I used this recipe as the base for the sausage, but modified it to use what I had on hand and limit sugar intake.
Pickle.jpg,

The inspiration for pickled eggs came from here. I made one jar of the dill pickled recipe and another jar of spicier ones where I kind of winged it. The dill ones were OK, but the spicier ones are my favorite. Skip the cowboy candy if you don't have any.
egg1.jpg,egg2.jpg

Hadn't made these before, but needed a keto friendly snack. Definitely something the garage fridge will be well stocked with.

We don't have room in the kitchen for additional pantry shelves... but this is what LOML came up with for her spice storage... she bought two sheets of metal at the local BORG, painted them her favorite color and then got two plastic picture frames to fit.... I mounted them on the wall for her, then she bought magnetic spice tins at World Market and used her labeler to mark each tin.... mounted right next to the fridge, it just behind me at the stove when I'm fixing meals...
1008201150.jpg