Patio roof needs fix'n

Don Baer

Staff member
13+ years ago when I had this house built the contractor put an enclosed ceiling in my patio roof. The roof is 50 feet long and 10 feet deep. They used drywall and finished it like any interior surface by tapeing and mudding it with a texture coat. Now after this many year and the Arizona heat is taking its toll on the mud and tape. It ceiling is protected from rain but it is exposed to the heat in the summer (110-120) degrees and cold in the winter we do get a few nights below freezing Now I am faced with how best to fix the problem. I could just crape it all down, re tape and re mud or someone suggested getting some paneling like wains coating and cover it with that. The paneling would require about 16 sheets but would be much quicker to do plus I am not a drywaller so I would have to hire it done. so cost wise the paneling might be less.

So what is the opinion of the collective.

Attachments

• 0902191704.jpg
    0902191704.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 0902191703a.jpg
    0902191703a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 0902191703.jpg
    0902191703.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 30
what it is the dimensions? i would go with aluminum soffit it holds up to cold and heat and you could do it your self. comes 12ft long so if your not over that wide you could have it in one piece no paint no mud no sanding just nail it up and your done

If it's just the tape joints pealing loose, could you put battens over the joints, caulk and paint? Just do a grid pattern that works with the joints that need covered. Just another solution, but understand if that is not the look you're going for.

I'd probably consider the aluminum soffit myself, would hold up for a good long time, be pre-finished, and probably lighter.

what it is the dimensions? i would go with aluminum soffit it holds up to cold and heat and you could do it your self. comes 12ft long so if your not over that wide you could have it in one piece no paint no mud no sanding just nail it up and your done
it 50 foot x 10 foot..

If it's just the tape joints pealing loose, could you put battens over the joints, caulk and paint? Just do a grid pattern that works with the joints that need covered. Just another solution, but understand if that is not the look you're going for.

I'd probably consider the aluminum soffit myself, would hold up for a good long time, be pre-finished, and probably lighter.

It's not just the tape, all the mud is flaking and dropping off the drywall so I am gonna have to scrape it all down to the bare drywall ans then start with that.

We've got a similar problem on our patio. (Smaller roof, though.) I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

I would suggest scrapping it down and screwing furring strips to it on 16" or 24" centers. This will keep any drywall from coming loose in the future. You can then put up whatever finish you choose but the metal soffit sounds like a keeper.