Pecan Wood Jar

Dave Hoskins

The colors in this jar made me pretty darn happy. The spalting really adds to it. I stuck with a simple lined shape and added a nice lip to it. The lid is a bit thicker than usual but just seemed to work out just right for me. The total height is 6 1/2" and vessel height is 5". Outside diameter is 6 3/4" with inside 5 1/2". Vessel depth is 4" and volume is just over 3 cups. Did the usual thing with the walnut oil and shellac.

Attachments

• BXP109.JPG
    BXP109.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 21
  • BXP109A.JPG
    BXP109A.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 22
  • BXP109B.JPG
    BXP109B.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 20
  • BXP109C.JPG
    BXP109C.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 21
  • BXP109D.JPG
    BXP109D.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BXP109E.JPG
    BXP109E.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 15
  • BXP109F.JPG
    BXP109F.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BXP109G.JPG
    BXP109G.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
Honestly Dave I'm not entirely in love with this one. I'm agreeing with you that the colors are pretty crazy amazing.. but I think they sort of overwhelm the details in the lid especially from the higher angle view- at least to my eye from a picture (and boy how well I know it can look a lot different in person so grain of salt there). Having said that it's still a darn cool little jar and the shape is pretty sweet so combined with the eye bling I'm betting it'll have no trouble moving in short time!

I think that has some fantastic grain to it. I think maybe photographing it on a darker background may help bring out the patterns a bit better, the spalting gets lost in the current background.

Thanks, everyone! I admit it is a bit "boxy" but what can I say? On the photo taking, I fully admit to being basically a lousy photographer. I try to follow the basic guidelines that Etsy put out on it. Use natural lighting and show it in use somehow. So the booth thing that I use is towards the back area of the shop, which is open in front, and seems to work OK. I use a grayish colored blanket for the background. I had a darker one, but something happened to it. I thought about getting another one. Still think on it, but haven't done it. Guess I need to put that on the shopping list and I might remember. Glad everybody likes it. On the selling, who knows what the public wants.

Why are there no pecans in your pecan jar? :):rofl:

I've got a few small bowl blanks of pecan that are hard as rocks when I turn... they do make a nice bowl, but no where near the color you have. Wish I some big enough to try a jar... is that all from one piece or did you use two different blanks?

Keep coming back to this trying to be constructive with a personal critique without being critical.
Think Ryans' comments helped nailed my reservations.

1. Personally I think that the wall thicknesses are too big a percentage of the overall proportions, which you alluded to.
2. The exaggerated figuring of the spalting seems overpowering on such a small piece, personally I would spread the spaltings impact by combining it as highlights with a complimentary blandly figured wood.

Say:-
Plain Body with Spalted Lid or
Spalted Body with a Plain Lid.

Last edited:
The one nice thing about this forum is that nobody has to agree with anybody. Most of the time when I turn something, it is intended solely for the purpose of satisfying customers. Sometimes I turn it just to see what happens, which is what this jar is. But, not everybody has to like it. Whether they are here on the forum or in the customer base. And, I certainly don't expect everybody to like it. Works for me. I DO KNOW that it is getting some serious looks online. Both with Etsy and my website. So, what more could I want? But, whichever way they go I appreciate all comments.