Peek-a-Boo Purse Mirror

Kerry Burton

I forgot all about the pocket/purse mirror that I eventually finished for the young girl next door. Before bringing out the Popsicle Stick airplanes for her brothers I asked if she would be OK with them getting some quickly-made, sure-to-be-broken-soon gifts while I continued to work on a more refined, use-it-for-the-rest-of-your-life gift for her?

She was fine with that ... but due to circumstances she didn't get her gift for another 2 weeks instead of the 2 days we all expected. In the end, I think she really liked it, especially with the woven & crocheted pouch my wife made for it.

That family actually moved out a couple weeks ago; I'm glad I/we got it done in time.

ELPH360_2860_BackView_WindowWithCabochon.jpg

ELPH360_2861_WithWovenPouch.jpg

ELPH360_2862_WovenPouch.jpg

That is a forever gift for sure to any little girl! Does the mirror "fit into the inner circle of the wood" or is it segmented into the wood and turned with the wood? :huh:

Great job!!

Nicely done, Kerry (and wifely crochet helper)! :thumb: What kind of wood is it? (Looks like sycamore from here, or perhaps maple.) Also, what's the red in the center of the back side?

Does the mirror "fit into the inner circle of the wood" or is it segmented into the wood and turned with the wood? :huh:

I turned the recess for the mirror first, then glued the mirror in. Is that what you were asking?

You can see additional examples in this old Pocket / purse mirrors thread.

What kind of wood is it? (Looks like sycamore from here, or perhaps maple.) Also, what's the red in the center of the back side?

Yep - it's sycamore. :thumb:

The "peekaboo" part is provided by a stone-like cabochon / lozenge that I got at one of those Clearance sales that Craft Supplies USA used to hold before/during the Utah Woodturning Symposium:

ELPH360_2957_Cabochons.jpg

I turned a recess-within-a-recess and glued the cabochon in behind the mirror. I guess I should have taken a couple more "process photos". :doh:

Last edited:
Nice work Kerry and wife! I bet the girl feels really special after receiving the mirror.:thumb: But mate.. you CAN say you actually did the crocheting yourself....just take ownership:rofl::rofl: