Performax 16-32 sandpaper

Leo Voisine

I had a very large supply of sandpaper for my drum sander, but I am almost out of usable strips

I need to buy something????

But What?

What do you all do?

Cut your own strips - buy it precut

Where do you get your supplies?
Are there any qty price breaks?

My inquiring mind wants to know.

fred hargis

I've always cut my own after the first pack I used. I kept on the old worn out strips for a pattern (the tapered part) and while it isn't hugely cheaper I still prefer doing that. I did this for my old Delta (now departed) and do it now for the Supermax replacement. I usually get my bulk rolls from Klingspor. I should point out I don't use a lot of different grits, pretty much sticking to 120.

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I've always cut my own after the first pack I used. I kept on the old worn out strips for a pattern (the tapered part) and while it isn't hugely cheaper I still prefer doing that. I did this for my old Delta (now departed) and do it now for the Supermax replacement. I usually get my bulk rolls from Klingspor. I should point out I don't use a lot of different grits, pretty much sticking to 120.
That's what I do, too. I prefer the alumina-zirconia stuff. It lasts a lot longer than the others. I also use mainly 120 grit.

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I cut my strips from roll material. I made a pattern from 1/4" plywood for the ends, measure the length I need from the roll and slice it with a utility knife.

Paul Douglass

Leo, this was just posted on the scroll saw forum iI belong to, He figures shipping may be $16 or there about. I you would be interested maybe we can figure away you two can get in touch with each other.. He live in Texas.

"I have a new box which consists of 4 80 grit and 4 120 grit precut sandpaper for a 16" drum sander. If you can use them I will take $25 including shipping"

Leo Voisine

I am pretty analytical about this stuff so the spreadsheet is open

Looking at the Klingspor website I am comparing prices.
I calculated how much paper based on Width and Length of my current sander with precut at 91 inches long and 3 inches wide.
The Klingspor price for 2 precut strips is 27.95 or 13.97 each strip

If I get the 18MT x 4" roll is makes 10 strips which is about 4.90 per strip

Not really sure how the different width or angle cut works out yet, though I know it will be different.
I may just need to get a roll and try it.

I will do the alumina zirconia paper - thanks for the tip. I also like the Plywood template tip.

Leo Voisine

Leo, this was just posted on the scroll saw forum iI belong to, He figures shipping may be $16 or there about. I you would be interested maybe we can figure away you two can get in touch with each other.. He live in Texas.

"I have a new box which consists of 4 80 grit and 4 120 grit precut sandpaper for a 16" drum sander. If you can use them I will take $25 including shipping"
OOPPpS

Paul - YES, I will do that

Leo Voisine

The alumina zirconia 3" x 18 MT works out to $7.28 per strip which is about 1/2 the cost of precut Aluminum Oxide. Also same width

Glad I posted the question - Great advice - Thank you.

I will order the roll at the end of the month

Paul, I will still take the bargain deal.

Ted Calver

Staff member
Next time i need to redo my sander I think i’ll try Mirka Abranet. I know it has a hook and loop backing, but not sure if it makes any difference rolled on a drum and secured at both ends.

Paul Douglass

The alumina zirconia 3" x 18 MT works out to $7.28 per strip which is about 1/2 the cost of precut Aluminum Oxide. Also same width

Glad I posted the question - Great advice - Thank you.

I will order the roll at the end of the month

Paul, I will still take the bargain deal.
I sent him the address you gave me, He said he will email you.

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Wait..., the 16-32 uses 4" wide paper?

I don't think it should matter should it? as long as it's long enough with the right taper.. either 3" or 4" ought to work.

Most (all?) of the sold-for is 3" wide but I'm not seeing a reason 4" shouldn't work, you just need fewer wraps - aka a shorter strip (and would have fewer overlaps as well). Makes it a smidge harder to get the "first piece" right but after that.. I think it ought to work .. looking at the clamping mechanism on mine anyway.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried wider strips..