Periodic Table of the Elements

Brett Luna

My wife gave me an awesomely geeky Christmas present: the periodic table of elements in cast acrylic, complete with samples of the elements...except for the radioactive ones. To show it off properly, I decided that it needed a base. Simple and quick.

41d7e7ab80d06c18c1e13d6c5233a5d2.jpg

I didn't want to cut into a large board for this little project and I didn't have a worthy scrap wide enough to do it all in one go but I did have a stick of morado that I could glue up in three sections. Before glue up, I sized the center section for the thickness of the casting and notched it for the width to make a mortise. Trimmed to size, sanded to 400g, finished with BLO and a few coats of Minwax 'Special Dark' paste wax, applied with a fine Scotchbrite pad and buffed vigorously.

Nice match on the base, at least from the picture it looks like one piece of wood.

Thanks. I got lucky with the grain matching so well, so I was quite happy with the glue lines...or apparent lack thereof. Now that I look at it more closely, and oddly enough, there's an abrupt change in grain color that sort of makes it look the mortise straddles a glue line. Tricky.