Personal Dilemma

Do you have any Latino friends? Maybe one of them has an abuela who makes them. The best tamales I had in Texas was from a family selling on a roadside.

I gave up on tamales around here; tried a few but they all taste canned, even at a great Mexican restaurant we enjoy. Their enchiladas are quite good, though!

We have a large migrant population in my area. This has resulted in a number of places opening that cater to the working men and women of that population. I eat at those places instead of the Americanized Mexican cuisine joints.

Those are the best restaurants/purveyors of genuine Mexican food that I know of. During my travels I ate at a large number of Mexican restaurants in Texas and Southern California. That food is what spoiled me and created my love of genuine Mexican cuisine. I love eating there. Most are family owned and the mother or grandmother makes the sauces.

Um um good!

The best are always from the older person trucking around an ice chest full of them.

The second best are usually the ones I make at home... Although my rolling skills leave much to be desired, we can make them like we like. Just like FIRE! :cool:

Not sure if they're available in your area, but Bueno brand frozen tamales (from the frozen food section at the grocery store) are my go-to most of the time. They are equal or better than the handmade/homemade ones sold around here, and we have a LOT of local choices. Heck, half of our state's name is "Mexico", lol. That said, the "Mexican" food in our state - particularly the northern half - is quite a bit different (and better, IMO) than the more authentic Mexican food you can get in parts of Texas, Arizona, and California.

Being a transplanted New Mexican I find good mexican food hard to come by in other parts. Abuelo's in Columbus Oh and in Bentiville Ark and several other locations are supurb. The best comes from home' LOML cooks the best. Had a hard time getting good green chili' had to make the trip to Albuquerque once a year to get roasted green chili and freeze up for trip home. Now we have found 505 chili which has a lot of very taste salsas and chili products including the green chili. Fits our taste just fine.
David

I live in a tamale desert... sure miss the ones we used to get in Houston. We have a couple of Mexican restaurants here in Tellico Plains, but haven't tried their tamales yet... My son Jason tried them last time he was here and said they were pretty good.
We mostly got TexMex in Houston, but the year we lived in Tucson we got Sonoran style which was a different flavor but still pretty authentic. First time we went through Phoenix, I found a place that had Green Corn Tamales... a different taste that I found to be superb...