Planes storage suggestions needed! Please!

Hi guys.
On the pic you can see how I keep my planes. IMG_0450.jpeg

As I am undergoing a major shop reorganisation, I would like to have a different way of keeping them as the way they are they pick up a lot of wooddust, specially those that I do not use often. I am thinking about putting aside those that I never use (like the bedrock #7) and leave at hand those that I use most often. I am thinking about either shelves in cabinets, drawers or whatever. How do you have them stored? Show me some pics of your system and tell the advantages or disadvantages that you found on it or what would you change.

Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Chas Jones

If you are thinking of a set of draws for longer term storage of some of them, especially the steel ones; give some consideration to placing a thin sheet of furniture foam in the base of the draw moistened with a light grade oil. That way the soles of the planes and blade edges will be guarantied rust free whenever you need them.

I have four that just get occasional usage housed this way co-habiting in a garage that regularly has a rain soaked car and outdoor clothing for company with no rust problems.

If you are thinking of a set of draws for longer term storage of some of them, especially the steel ones; give some consideration to placing a thin sheet of furniture foam in the base of the draw moistened with a light grade oil. That way the soles of the planes and blade edges will be guarantied rust free whenever you need them.

I have four that just get occasional usage housed this way co-habiting in a garage that regularly has a rain soaked car and outdoor clothing for company with no rust problems.
Thanks a lot Chas. So I presume that yours are stored vertically, I mean with the sole facing down. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, although they will need a deeper drawer but I believe that they will optimise the space available as they would be side by side, rather than laying sideways which I think is rather space wasting.

Chas Jones

Thanks a lot Chas. So I presume that yours are stored vertically, I mean with the sole facing down.
Correct Face Down, my tool collection is nowhere near as exotic as you aficionados' of wood working, just enough to allow reasonable DIY home needs etc. when needed hence I have to think long term unattended storage for tools.

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I had a board to put in a drawer, similar to Jim & Toms storage, but horizontally. I put an 1/8” strip of wood for the top portion of the plane bottom to sit on, keeping the blade from touching anything as it was stored. I’m sure theirs are done similarly.

Ted Calver

Staff member
My meager collection lives kind of rough in a couple of drawers in a conditioned garage. I always put them away with a light coat of Japanese camellia oil (Hamono Tsubaki) and the irons retracted. Some also live in plane socks. Recently it's been suggested that socks can attract and hold moisture, but the socks I got long ago from Lee Valley, Lie-Neilsen and Woodcraft were billed as having some sort of silicone rust preventative treatment. I've never had a rust problem and the socks also protect from nicks and scratches.
IMG_9193.jpeg,IMG_8517.jpeg ,IMG_9195.jpeg , IMG_9196.jpeg

glenn bradley

I would put the screwdrivers and such in a drawer organizer and hang / set the planes in that area. I used para-cord as shown in a Fine Woodworking mag article once upon a time. My first test was with boot laces.
Plane Till (16).jpg
I switched to brown para cord 550 which I could hang my body weight from. This should be safe for any weight plane.
Plane Till (66).jpg
My panel is only tilted about 2 degrees and this is enough to keep the panes against the surface. Screw eyes or holes drilled through your existing panel could also work but are not as easy to change / reorganize. The wood srip and dowels you see were placed early on before I had used the system. I thought the planes might bang into each other. They are really not necessary at all.

Last edited:
I would put the screwdrivers and such in a drawer organizer and hang / set the planes in that area. I used para-cord as shown in a Fine Woodworking mag article once upon a time. My first test was with boot laces.
View attachment 126868
I switched to brown para cord 550 which I could hang my body weight from. This should be safe for any weight plane.
View attachment 126870
My panel is only tilted about 2 degrees and this is enough to keep the panes against the surface. Screw eyes or holes drilled through your existing panel could also work but are not as easy to change / reorganize. The wood srip and dowels you see were placed early on before I had used the system. I thought the planes might bang into each other. They are really not necessary at all.
I Iike the simplicity of the loop idea to hang them Glenn. I prefer it rather than drilling a hole on the sole as I have seen on some planes sold on Ebay.
I may go for it if I don't make a drawer for them. Thanks for showing it.

My meager collection lives kind of rough in a couple of drawers in a conditioned garage. I always put them away with a light coat of Japanese camellia oil (Hamono Tsubaki) and the irons retracted. Some also live in plane socks. Recently it's been suggested that socks can attract and hold moisture, but the socks I got long ago from Lee Valley, Lie-Neilsen and Woodcraft were billed as having some sort of silicone rust preventative treatment. I've never had a rust problem and the socks also protect from nicks and scratches.
View attachment 126864,View attachment 126865 ,View attachment 126866 , View attachment 126867
Thanks Ted, I didn't remember about the plane socks, I may use them for the almost never used ones.
Here’s my plane/tool storage, left side opens for additional storage 👍
Thank a lot Tom, I was trying to remember how you had them last time I was at your place but I couldn't. I'm happy to see that you have a place for the Tour the Wood one ;)

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Way cool plane till Jim! I haven't got as many planes as you, initially I thought about making something similar, but that will not prevent them from picking dust unless I put doors on the cabinet. I have a question for you, are they held in place by sheer gravity force thanks to the inclined plane or you also embedded some magnets to secure them?
Some of both, Toni. The bench planes -#3 and larger are just held by gravity. They're on about a 7½° angle. I've never had one move.
The smaller stuff like the #72, #90, #92, etc. all have a magnet under them.
Dust IS a problem - so are spiders... - I've thought about putting glass doors on the cabinet...but haven't gotten around to it.
I keep about ten of my most-used planes on a shelf above my bench.

Frank Fusco

My planes are simply on a shelf base down. They, and other seldom used tools, get a light spray of Rust Gard, a gunsmithing product from Midway Arms. Another, but more expensive, choice is Barricade made by Birchwood-Casey and available from gunsmith supply houses like Brownell's or Midway Arms.