Plant identification

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I recently loaded the PictureThis app on my phone, so far it's been 100% at identifying plants growing here around the farm. I've even taken pictures of some tree trunks/bark and it's correctly identified the tree. It does have some free abilities to try it out, just have to exit around the nag screen, but it's $29 a year for the unlocked version. I paid for it for this year, but hopefully won't need it much after that. It will save pics in the history when internet isn't available and identify it when it comes back online.

It will tell you facts about the plant and whether it is editable and such. It will also diagnose issues it sees in the photo with the plant and give advice on treatment. I've even taken pics of flowers and trees on the TV that my wife was interested in that it identified.

Are there other apps that any of you have used that work for this? I know there are others, just curious what the experience has been with them?

Not sure there is one that will identify by photo, but there are a couple that identify by sound. I may try that one out, we get a lot of various bird calls at night here and I wonder what they are.

I have the Vtree app from Virginia Tech, but don’t use it much. I don’t think it’s been updated in a while. If you have some basic botanical training the free on-line plant keys from Virginia Tech Dendrology are very good.

You might also check out the Seek and iNaturalist apps for help identifying things you find in nature.

The boss uses plantsnap which works fairly well. There's a book we have that teaches you how to classify plants by large category which seems useful as well although I haven't studied it as much as I should..

Not *quite* related.. but I've bought local (for some value of local.. regional anyway) versions of these for various youngsters over the years. Great for fun nature walks :D

edit: relevant because you often get to also try to identify various plants in the .. uhh.... remains..

I recently loaded the PictureThis app on my phone, so far it's been 100% at identifying plants growing here around the farm. I've even taken pictures of some tree trunks/bark and it's correctly identified the tree. It does have some free abilities to try it out, just have to exit around the nag screen, but it's $29 a year for the unlocked version. I paid for it for this year, but hopefully won't need it much after that. It will save pics in the history when internet isn't available and identify it when it comes back online.

It will tell you facts about the plant and whether it is editable and such. It will also diagnose issues it sees in the photo with the plant and give advice on treatment. I've even taken pics of flowers and trees on the TV that my wife was interested in that it identified.

Are there other apps that any of you have used that work for this? I know there are others, just curious what the experience has been with them?
You don't need that.
Take a picture of the plant, hit the share button, then hit the Google Share button. You'll get everything you'll need to know about it or anything else.

Can the who Pooped by individual... I had to fence my yard because all the dogs that run loose came to my yard. I do not mind picking up after my own, but
Know the feeling... living in Humble just north of Houston we didn't have dogs, just cats at the time (they buried theirs), our neighbor across the street had two dalmations... every time he let them out, they ran across the street to my yard.... first few times I didn't think much of it, after 3rd or 4th time, I began to take my shovel, scoop up their leavings and deposited in his driveway.... he got the message and stopped letting them out of their back yard.

I lived in that house 3 or 4 years and neither he nor the neighbor to the right of him ever once said hello or waved our way....