Plant Stands

glenn bradley

This may be premature since I have a lot of yard work today :whistling:. LOML has a couple of fiberglass log planters meaning they look sort of like hollow logs but hold plants. The pig (her pet, my misery) likes to nibble or just plain knock over some of her plants and she would like these raised up a bit. I knocked out a quick design.
Plant stand (0).jpg . Plant stand (00).jpg
She OK'd the idea and I started milling redwood. I needed some 1-1/2" square sticks to cut legs from.
Plant stand (1).jpg

I quarter-rounded the long edges and cut them to length; about 13".
Plant stand (2).jpg

I want to keep the joinery simple. I will notch each leg and lap-joint the stretchers.
Plant stand (3).jpg . Plant stand (4).jpg

Once the day warms up I will retreat from the yard to the shop and post more progress.

OK, six legs of each profile, six legs per stand.
Plant stand (5).jpg
I cut the half laps at the tablesaw. Two outer cuts and then a chop to remove the waste. These are fence boards and the spoil just pops out clean.
Plant stand (6).jpg
I'm not going too precision on these things. I gang them with tape and rough draw a rounded corner.
Plant stand (7).jpg
I free hand it at the disc sander.
Plant stand (8).jpg
I also use the disc to bevel the tops and bottoms of the legs.
Plant stand (9).jpg
The Re-Store is great for picking up stainless hardware on the cheap.
Plant stand (10).jpg
Here's the stand.
Plant stand (11).jpg
And here's the planter.
Plant stand (12).jpg
She's happy so, I'm happy.

This particular demonic porcine beast only seems to like to chew cardboard. Other wooden items in the yard have been un-bothered. Most plants she couldn't care less. Some plants she thinks are a smorgasbord. We have moved off of most of those plants but, there are some we like that she also likes. I'm all for a taser for training purposes but SWMBO is not amused ;-) She is also unamused at my "pet"name for the pig; carnitas!