Plastic Shoebox Shelves

glenn bradley

Not sure if this should be under "shops" or under jigs and "fixtures":huh:.
OK, get the OCD jokes ready. You won't bring me down because I am just crushing my to-do list. :treadmill: :crash:

I have a 24" deep cabinet. As many of us know anything over 18" leads to the Twilight Zone where things vanish into another dimension :chair:. At any rate I have had a wide assortment of odds and end in various boxes and bags floating around in there. I took some more of that famous junk-wood that LOML brings me home from her work . . . Dumpster diving by remote control; not bad eh? Slapped this thing together with glue and brads.

I'm still migrating stuff into these plastic shoe boxes (a dozen for $14 at the BORG) from oddball bags or just rolling around loose but, I wanted to stop to take a couple pics and share. Boxes that stack are good. Boxes on shelves are better ;) Total cost - 90 minutes of my time and a couple dozen staples. And, I recovered 6 square feet of shelf space :thumb:

shoebox shelves (1).jpg . shoebox shelves (2).jpg

Last edited:
IF you only know how many of the plastic shoe boxes we have bought over the last year or two. I use them all over.

Costco has them in 2 sizes (sometimes). They generally have the normal size, but occaisonally will get some in that are a bit bigger. I've sized my shelf system to be deep enough for the larger one, and with adjustable height shelve to accomodate either size...

I have those units that have a bunch of little plastic drawers, maybe 4" long and 2" wide - we've all got these things I think.
A friend looked at them one time and said "you've got 50 bins and they're all labeled miscellaneous" he was kidding, I hope.

Kudos to you for organizing them, mine are strewn everywhere (well as long as they don't leave the prescribed area my wife has so graciously granted me)

I've got a couple of those metal cabinets myself Glenn. I agree, once something hits a certain point it's lost. I think I'll take a day and clean that thing out an cobble together a set of those myself.

after the power came back on, I went out to the garage to look for a piece of hardware I knew I had.
after spending over 2 hours locating it, Im thinking about sending glenn a plane ticket and letting come out here and doing some bradley organization in my garage.

Glenn i dont have any jokes, rather i am in your camp totally. I have those boxes too but they ended up pretty much like Allen said " for now" .

You keep waking me up and i appreciate the post more than you can believe. I had two metal "stationary cabinets , thats what we called them where i came from" like that but had to surrender them to Linda when we moved into this rented place with no storage. :(

But your storage mechanism for them is top of my list. My plan was to make one with Dadoes for the boxes to slide in on their own hence no shelves needed. That depends on the type of lid though.

I think the scoop on the wood helps a great deal when you see the cost of plywood around here. :)

Thanks for the post.:thumb: You Bradleys are sure an inspiration.

Labeling the boxes is key to keeping them organized. I just got done labeling a bunch of them I use for my office 'stuff' and am moving on to organizing all the cables, gizmos and gadgets I have. Then off to the shop to organize those boxes.

Glad this helped or inspired :thumb: All the empty ones in the original pics are now full (and labeled of course . . . nerd-alert). I am amazed how many times I have gone to them in the last few weeks. I always needed that stuff but, was never sure where it was so I just faked it. Now when I need a special adhesive, some sharpening film or even a zip-top bag, I can go right to them. At least now I can get some value out of the real estate that the "stuff" takes up.

Alright, picked up a half dozen from the Borg yesterday, but SWMBO has already claimed them....taking them straight to the shop next time. :doh:

Darren VIA tapatalk

HER: "Oh Honey, thank you. How did yuou know I needed these?

YOU: Huh!?! Uh, er, I mean . . .You know me Honey; always thinkin' of ya!"

Good save . . . Note to self . . . use more stealth upon return from retail outlets . . . :rofl: