Plumbing Outside Spigot

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, let's just skip by the part how my house doesn't have a fast or easy way to shut off the water (turn off the breaker and let the pressure tank drain. The PO put the shutoff valve on the input side of the pressure tank, lol.)

I have a spigot outside that was leaking. So, started to try and take it apart to fix it. Got as far as taking the handle off and the brass screw that holds it on uses a flat blade and came pre-cammed out for me. So no way to get the screw out.

I did loosen the packing nut to see what was up, but then just said screw it. So tighted up the packing nut again and turned on the water. Guess what, That apparently fixed the leak. I'll take it as a win (Knowing that down the line I'll have a much more difficult repair later)

Any fix that works is a good fix, but when you do shut the system down it would be a good idea to put shut off/isolation valves in all the other places you think they might be needed. Just get it over with at one time and thank your self later.

Any fix that works is a good fix, but when you do shut the system down it would be a good idea to put shut off/isolation valves in all the other places you think they might be needed. Just get it over with at one time and thank your self later.
I need to do some major rework on the 'plumbing closet'. The piping for it closely resembles the original drain fittings for the bathroom I remodeled, which was basically I think they had a bunch of extra unecessary fittings and decided to use them all.