Plywood Mounted Bathroom Tiles... Not a Good Idea!

Stuart Ablett

I'm doing a renovation of an apartment, I was supposed to be doing only the floors. I found a LOT of water damage. I have to fix that before I can button up the floors, found the problem in the bathtub room.

Tech tip, don't use plywood to mount bathroom tiles, just simply NOT a good idea.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

My daughter is in the process of a bath remodel and they mounted the tiles on regular drywall. I think most of the drywalls paper came off with the tile. She asked me how she should mud it to get it paintable again. :rolleyes: I told her I'd pick up some new drywall for her. At least it's only half way up the wall, so should be only about a sheet to replace, but a lot less mudding in the end. I'm more worried about what we'll find to fix behind that drywall though.

Demo work us not fun LOL.

dc7dd444572839e7342cd1a368de9153.jpg

This us the vent hose used, smashed almost flat, utterly useless.

Most of the tiles are coming off easily, my cordless hammer drill on the hammer only setting with a chisel tip on it takes care of anything else.

1022a01504a7e8b4c13e798e1760b636.jpg

Getting there.
Now to clean up the mess and cut up the bathtub for removal.

My daughter is in the process of a bath remodel and they mounted the tiles on regular drywall. I think most of the drywalls paper came off with the tile. She asked me how she should mud it to get it paintable again. :rolleyes: I told her I'd pick up some new drywall for her. At least it's only half way up the wall, so should be only about a sheet to replace, but a lot less mudding in the end. I'm more worried about what we'll find to fix behind that drywall though.
Drywall, even the water resistant stuff is not something I'd use behind tile, concrete board is my go to product.

Best of luck with that, I'd rather do plumbing than drywall mud LOL.

When we developed a leak in our shower pan we decided to remodel the entire bathroom. The contractor we hired removed all the dry wall in the wet areas and exposed the bare studs. He then put concrete board on the floor and walls. He was careful to mud the joints and sanded them smooth so they were even.

Knock on wood, so far, so good.

By the way they do manufacture a moisture resistant dry wall. Usually it comes in a green color.

Drywall, even the water resistant stuff is not something I'd use behind tile, concrete board is my go to product.

Best of luck with that, I'd rather do plumbing than drywall mud LOL.

Shes wanting to paint it when it goes back together, no tile. There will be tile on the floor, but on concrete board.

My son bought a tract home in Bastrop, Tx built by one of the largest home builders in Texas... not only did they use Green Board behind the shower wall, they also build the house on a sand based lot that had a spring under the master bedroom... which of course let the MBR floor sink and crack the slab... it took him 3 years and a couple of lawyers to get the house fixed... they had to put 57 piers under the house to raise it and stabilize the slab.

Green board isn't a good backer for shower tiles either... second on the concrete board.

My house in Humble, Tx had proper concrete board behind the shower, but the shower drain didn't match location with the plumbing location, so they just forced the plastic pipe from the drain to fit the sewer pipe... caused the pipe to crimp and a 5 minute shower would fill the shower pan... 10 minutes to drain.
I tore it all out and made a custom tiled shower pan so I could relocate the drain to work properly.

I wonder why they did that, if they didn't want to remove the old tiles, they could have put the new ones on top...

Contrary to what one would think as seen on japanese timber framing videos, there are messy plumbers/masons in Japan too.
No pun intended Stu.