PM-V11 in a Millers Falls No. 9

glenn bradley

I am not a Neander but, make liberal use of hand tools in my work. I had an opportunity to pick up a Veritas PM-V11 blade and cap iron for my MF No 9. Millers Falls measured their plane in approximate inches so a No 9 is about the size of what most of us think of as a No 4.

The blade came well lapped as is the norm for these. A bit of honing and it was ready to go. the only rub was that the cap iron screw was a bit large for the MF frog cavity. I swapped it with the MF screw and all is well.

PMv11 in  a MF 9 (1).jpg . PMv11 in  a MF 9 (2).jpg

I adjusted the frog a bit. The thicker blade and cap iron were not a problem with the depth adjuster tongue, lateral lever or MF style lever cap.

PMv11 in  a MF 9 (3).jpg . PMv11 in  a MF 9 (4).jpg

And it does what it is supposed to do.

PMv11 in  a MF 9 (5).jpg

I have two No. 9's and so could compare them side by side in use. It seems there is a bit more authority with the heavier blade. The difference is not amazingly better so that could be subjective. I will enjoy the extended time between sharpening.

Last edited:
In my (limited to two planes) experience, the PM-V11 is easier to sharpen than A-2 - about the same as O-1 - and stays sharp longer than O-1 or A-2.

It's worth the extra cost for a plane that sees a lot of use in hardwoods. Otherwise, my preference is still O-1 for it's easy sharpening and reasonably good edge retention.

I have multiples of most common plane sizes, so my usual strategy is to have several on hand for bigger jobs, and just switch out planes as they dull, rather than stop and sharpen frequently. I generally sharpen in 'batches' - often half a dozen blades at a session. If I only had one or two planes, I'd probably switch to PM-V11 for it's superior edge retention, though.

Jim's experience mirrors my own. This is the first time I have upgraded an existing plane. I started going the little extra for PM-V11 after my first experience with it. I always specify it when putting items on a "gift list" :). My other existing tools will probably keep their originals.

You sold me. I inherited a very lightly used 50's era Stanley #7 from my dad that I have been fixing up. A new blade was next on the list, but I was afraid the thicker blades wouldn't work without additional metal tuning or the need for a new/different cap iron screw. Looks like the combination blade and cap iron would be a good upgrade. (Currently out of stock).

ted sometimes they need a larger mouth opening, at least when i saw rob cosman convert a number 4 it did.

Not saying one way or the other but, that was my first reaction too. I even had the file out. I was able to adjust the frog and blade extension to where filing the mouth wasn't needed. I'll bet you I'm within a hair's breadth of needing to though and would not hesitate to do it if it made things easier.